Monday, December 23, 2013

Grocery Shopping -Alllmost Rained Out

Thursday Ross and I decided to make a trip out of it and get some grocery shopping done. I can't believe that Christmas is in less than a WEEK. And that we were doing shopping for Christmas dinner. I have been so excited for Rissa to get here that I have kinda forgot that Christmas is so soon.

So Ross and I headed downtown on the reggage bus to get some shopping at Foodland. My friend Tammy gives me rides to the grocery store and we usually hit up Foodland. This particular Foodland is probably my favorite store on the island, thank goodness for Tammy introducing us. That isn't to say that I had never been here before, but Tammy knows where to find all the good stuff on the island. Oh, and did I mention it has a great clearance section?

A bit random, I know














Most of the students shop at IGA, because it is school bus route accessible and has lots of American brands. But because students are crazy, the selection is random, and very often, actually probably every time, if you have more than 5 items on your list, at least one won't be in stock. Anyways, Foodland is always stocked. It's like.... AMERICA.... almost. Haha. Nice try. This is the same place you can find iguana and squid.

















One thing I think is pretty cool about Grenada is that they get pretty decked out for the holidays. Check out this nativity scene on the top of Foodland, getting pelted with rain.

The deli here has tons of fancy cheeses, so I hit it up for the traditional Petersen Christmas Eve Picnic!

Afterwards we headed to IGA to pick up the remaining items on our list. I think we were pretty successful. Although most of the students are gone, the country is currently flooded with rich people vacationing - on their yacht, in their mansion, at resorts. And they like to buy up food like it is going out of style. Lucky for us they like to buy wine -well, any and all manner of alcoholic beverages, and meats and cheese. Don't drink, check, and check!

The best part of the whole day was (of course) waiting to catch the bus. Twenty minutes later, when we were ready to give up that it wasn't coming, a drive bustles by us and asks where we were going. He tells us to get on the bus now. Seriously, I looked around to see if I was in imminent danger because... being rushed or in a hurry is not a Grenadian thing to do.
...
That driver. FLEW. That was the quickest, reggage buses included, I have ever gone in this country.



It was awesome. We got back to our apartment about the same time as if the bus would've come on time. AND we made a pit stop at campus. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment