Saturday, December 28, 2013

Flamingo Bay, Up-cycling Tires, and The Schnit

Driving/ riding in Grenada is always a fun adventure. I mean that in several different ways.

In one way, there is always something fun to see. Reggae bus and taxi vans tend to have really awesome decals. Many have little sayings or quotes.

Like so many things in Grenada, please let your imagination run wild and derive your own meaning - you're probably right.


Driving past the National Stadium.



















Driving along the west coast towards Flamingo Bay.


























I've only been to Flamingo Bay once before. It is a fun place to search for sea glass. It's a bit tougher, because unlike Pandy beach, the sea glass is all in the sea still. This means you kinda get smashed around by the surf, but it can be worth it to find some amazing pieces.

You walk down a steep path to the bay. 



Absolutely stunning!



































It's a fun little walk along the beach. We all know I have an obsession with taking pictures of boats on the beach. I love that the tarp on this boat is a carib banner. Carib is the local beer. 3 for 10 EC ($3.70 USD) man!


















Once we got down to the beach we set up camp and started to eat.



Out of no where, we turned and saw we had a little friend. He timidly talked to us for a little while and I wasn't sure if I should ignore him so he would leave, or offer him food or what. But Rissa, being the friendly person she is, struck up a conversation with him.
























Since I am blogging about this about a month and a half after it happened, I can't even remember the details. I remember him talking about soccer and Messi (of course), his 6 brothers, his huge "more than good!" Christmas dinner. He explained that he lived close by and I think it is pretty apparent that his life consists of going to school and just hanging out with tourists on his beach. Oh and also, let the record show that he plays football waaay better than Messi.



Almost magically, all at once, we were swarmed with a gaggle of small children.

Seriously. There were about 9 little children, all but one were little boys. I think most of these were Keon's (was that his name?) brothers. They were kind of crazy. Taking an old oar out into the sea with reckless abandon. They almost clocked Rissa or Ross on a couple occasions. They were pretty terrified of the waves, screaming when even the smallest wave would approach. The boys really liked Rissa, they were her little shadows, and she let them play with her swimming goggles. There were pretty excited about that.

We hung out, snorkeled, and found some cool sea treasures, but had to eventually bid adieu to our little friends.

Along the way there/back there is this fun tire work of art. 



One day I asked Ross, where do they put all the leftover tires? I mean, you go through them so quickly on pot-hole ridden roads like these, but it's such a small island... where do they dump them?

Ta-da!! The work of art is pretty impressive and spans quite a bit of road.

Went went home, got scrubbed up and headed to the one and only Schnitzel Haus. I don't blog about everything, but I am 95% sure I blog about every time I go the Schnitzel Haus. The food is amazing. I will definitely miss it when I leave Grenada.


























I think this makes me gluttonous but ... I'm drooling.

We ordered a couple "Big Spezis." It's a German drink, served in a huge mug. It's half coke half orange Fanta. It's pretty good!  It's what you get a a German restaurant when you don't drink alcohol.



It was such a fun day, by the end of the day we were pretty amazing at all we had accomplished!

Feeding monkeys at Grand Etang, hanging out at the Crater Lake, Annandale Falls, Flamingo Bay, then Schnitzel Haus. Some times living on a tiny island has it's perks!

No comments:

Post a Comment