Thursday, January 24, 2013

Flamingo Bay

I don't want to rub it in, the New Year's Eve was AWESOME for 2012 (or as they say in Grenada, Old Year's Day). We played some games with friends and at midnight we went out to watch fireworks over Prickly Bay. We had the best view! The resorts here shoot off fireworks at midnight and we had a good solid view of about 5 different shows, and a couple of random, sporadic others. I highly recommend it! And just to remind us we rung in the New Year in Grenada it started raining. :)

Now that it is officially 2013 it is apparent that Ross only has about two weeks left before he is TERM 2! So we are trying to make every minute count. Mostly this is done by not doing anything at all. That involves a lot of watching movies and being lazy.

Ross was surprised with a snorkel for Christmas so I needed to get in on the action too. We found a great deal from a student who was leaving the island, and we got a snorkel, two masks, AND fins. Really I was looking for fins that would fit Ross, but oh well, the fins only fit me. Bummer. With snorkel gear in hand we were ready for our trip to Flamingo Bay.

Flamingo Bay is supposed to not only have good snorkeling, but also be a really good sea glass beach, so I was excited to go.

Apparently I was drunk with excitement because these two pictures I took when I got there really suck.
















As the drunken excited-ness wore off my hangover excited pictures weren't as bad.

On the beach there were a bunch of fishermen "limin." More on that later, but "Limin" is just the Grenadian word for chillin, relaxin, chatting, taking it easy.  They had a net out in the ocean, just waiting for some fish.

















The sea glass here is a little more difficult to find because most of it isn't washed up on the beach like at Pandy. But in a way it is more fun because you can put on a snorkel and mask and search for it in the shallow water. It can just be tumultuous because if the waves are rough you can get washed around a little and scraped up... oh... like sea glass! Haha.

Our friend Sean has the same affinity for sea glass and so with me, Ross, and Sean working together we found a ton of good pieces. I already have some craft ideas tumbling around in that head of mine.

















It was a bit of an overcast day, with a little misting rain here and there.

Some of us swam out to the buoy by the rock you can see in the distance. There was some cool snorkeling and Ross saw a lion fish. I only sort of saw it because it went into hiding in the rock because there was a nest of babies.

Umm, this is not a photo of the lion fish we saw. Haha.



Ross and I are totally spoiled. Every now and again I remember that most of our friends and family are suffering (enjoying in Ross's opinion) freezing temperatures and barren, dry landscapes. And we have to enjoy/ suffer this:














Around that point behind me in this picture is the famous Underwater Sculpture Park. Just one more thing to add to our list!














I am thouroughly convinced that time is going to fly by here, and before you know it Ross and I will be heading back to the U.S. for rotations and the hustle and bustle of daily living non-Caribbean style.

1 comment:

  1. Would you go back here, Kristen? I would like to go, at some point and imagine that by bus it wouldn't be that difficult, do you think?

    It looks like you had a great time, but it's a little scary to know that the lion fish went behind some rocks for some babies.. I think you got really close since you know that.. AHH!

    ReplyDelete