Thursday, January 24, 2013

Downtown Part 1: Christmas Break Adventures

I have a short attention span and having no obligations just exacerbates the problem. I start to write a blog post, and get side tracked and forget about it. Haha. That's me for ya!

So I am here today to post some pictures from the awesome adventures Ross and I had during Christmas break! For the most part we stayed on our little corner of the island.

Our first trip was to go explore around downtown.
St. George is a port along the cruise ship trail and cruise ship season is in full swing! I have a hard time tolerating "cruisers." There is something about them that automatically rubs me the wrong way. Here is a HUGE cruise ship you can see from a restaurant in the mall. Ross was stunned at how big the ship was. He might have stared at it all day.














It was a pretty nice day downtown, until I took note of those looming rain clouds. Did I mention the rainy season is in full swing too? I have been downtown dozens and dozens of times. But any trip downtown I take with Ross, the weather takes note and decides to POUR rain out of the sky.














It was still a fun time though. We spent it dodging in and out of the rain.
Ross and I have very much enjoyed sampling the "local" candy bars. Local is in quotes because they aren't actually made here. Haha. But they are 1/2 the price as American candy bars. It's fun to try the different ones, some of them taste exactly like my favorite ones from the States.
This time we grabbed some Lunch. :) Probably my favorite one so far.














For a more substantial lunch we headed to the Carenage to eat at Schnitzel Haus!














Please note the German flag flying proudly.














As we entered we were greeted by a very happy German with long white hair and a Hawaiian shirt. Groovy man. Guten tag!
We ended up just buying a couple appetizers and it was amazing! Ross was in love with the bratwurst and I was in love with the cheese. Yeesss. :)  A big shout out to family who helped make this meal possible via monetary funds. It has been great to have a little extra money to go do fun things like this!


















Dorky tourists love to ride this little train on tours downtown. Haha.














The rain was really on and off. I heard a local once say
"Grenadians are afraid of three things.
1.) Guns
2.)Dogs
and
3.) Rain."

And sure enough, as soon as the rain started everyone who, minutes before was lounging on the street, crammed into these phone booths! That acid Caribbean rain will get ya every time! Hurry!














The rain cleared up and we headed out. The food at Schnitzel Haus was really good and I want to go back again and try spaetzle purely in honor of my father!

As Ross and I were walking we found some fun stuff.
Santa!














Lucas Street here in Grenada! Brigette, your family's legacy lives on here in the Caribbean. :)














As it turns out it was a pretty long day downtown, so I will finish up the trip in Part 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment