Sunday, January 27, 2013

Holiday Break Wrap-up

Well, it has taken me long enough to catch up on posts of all the adventures the Petersens Beyond the Sea had over the month break from medical school.

Still I can't believe all the things I didn't write about in the blog. I realize that I have been blessed with amazing friends that can make anything and everything fun. Flexible friends, spontaneous friends, friends who always have space in their car no matter how many children and adults are already in there!

One of our first adventures after midterms was to hike to Hog Island. We went with some friends and just explored. It was great to finally get out! The island is just  small with some fun hiking trails and a cool little beach. It is kinda funny because during break I ended up hiking to Hog Island 3 TIMES. The second time with some SOs on a morning walk, and the third time on a New Year's Day hash with some other med students.

Photo compliments of the talented Brandon


































On the way home from Seven Sisters with the Fergusons we saw my favorite guy.
Brandon pulled up beside him and asked him if he was selling. 
SNOW CONE MAAAAAN!
Of course! So we both pulled to the side of the road and he whipped us up some snow cones. We got to talking with him and he made this contraption and brought it over from Guyana, where he is originally from. This time I got my snow cone "Grenada Style" = half yellow, half red with a green strip going across it. Haha. 

Photo compliments of Brandon, yet again!
















When Brandon went to turn the car back on the brakes were out. Someone was looking out for us though, because we were right across the street from a gas station and we maneuvered in to figure out what needed to be done. A guy saw us struggling and he came over and helped the Fergusons bleed the brakes. It was just the thing because we were able to get back on the road and pick up their son from school in time. Thank goodness for the Brakes Samaritan!

Break also involved one or two trips to one of my favorite places... The Merry Baker!
It is a neat little bakery located in the ever fancy Port Louis.














The owners moved here not too long ago from South Africa. They are super friendly and they always recognize me and Patty. I guess you could say we are regulars. Haha.

Anyways, on Fridays around lunch time they do a $10EC burger bar! You can get a ground beef patty or a fish patty and Nigel, the owner, has a tiny BBQ grill and cooks up a patty for you. Then, inside, you can layer on the toppings! The best part is the homemade bakery style bun. :)






















Last time I was putting some pineapple on my burger and this chap comes up to me and exclaims, " I have NEVER seen anyone put pineapple on a burger!" *laughs and walks away*
Us silly Americans will layer anything on a pile of meat! What a spectacle to see!

Break was awesome! It was so much fun to hang out with friends and play games and eat desserts and just be lazy. Ross had the great opportunity of going to the beach multiple times! How often do you get to swim in warm crystal clear waters at this time of year?
The weather has cooled down so much from when I first arrived in August. It is more temperate and there is a nice breeze. I can actually see myself enjoying living here. :) I wish it was like this all year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment