Thursday, January 24, 2013

Seven Sisters Waterfalls (Christmas Break 2012)

Holy smokes!

I think I forgot of everything I crammed into Ross's month off from school. Hang in there, we are almost there.

One day Ross and I went with some friends to the absolutely gorgeous Seven Sisters waterfalls. I have been here before, and absolutely loved the hike. It just somehow slipped through my "add this to your blog radar." I haven't been on a ton of hikes in Grenada, but of those I have been on, this is my favorite.

Here is hiking Barbie Kristen.






















Due to the insane amount of rain this country has been getting the path was pretty muddy. The entrance fee you pay for the hike includes a fabulous walking stick as modeled by yours truly in the picture above. The walking stick is a must. It really helps out.

You get to hike down then back up and out. This is my favorite part of the actual hike. It involves Spiderman-esque maneuvers to scale.






















Also some mud steps with bamboo supports. Ali, engineering marvel, this is for you.

















The cool thing about the hike is there are open valleys with small homes and farms then all of a sudden you are in the middle of the jungle, and crossing tiny streams.

















Vines galore! It never ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of green there is in this country. Flora and fauna every where you look.

















The Seven Sisters Waterfalls are seven waterfalls, ranging in size with the largest one stacking up to 35 feet!

If you look for my man Super Butterfly he will take you to the top of them and help you cross/ jump them all. But don't worry your pretty little head about finding Super Butterfly, he will pop out of the jungle when you least expect it.
Some of our friends decided to jump them all and they said the hike up was pretty crazy because the water was so much faster and higher than usual (again because of the rain).

Super Butterfly tells you exactly how and where to jump in hopes that you don't kill yourself. One guess which guy is Super Butterfly...



Here is one of the guys in our group jumping the 35 footer!



The tricky thing is in order to see the first 5 waterfalls, you HAVE to jump the 35 foot one, there is no wimping out. The pictures don't do it justice. Imagine for a second how TALL 35 feet is.
...

Now how many votes do I get for me to do it next time? Eh? Eh?

While waiting I took this cool photo with my amazing zoom.


















Ross and I at the last two of the Seven Sisters Waterfalls.


























On our way back we saw a wild growing pineapple. I wish there were more growing here! I don't see it very often at the markets, and they don't grow very big.






















And beautiful bright flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment