Thursday, January 24, 2013

Downtown Part 3: Christmas Break Adventures

Part 3! You never knew you were in for such a treat! :)

Ross and I wandered around a little bit more, because that is what we do best.
To my glee... we found another old crumbling building!


























Signs said that it is in the process of being reconstructed and refurbished, well, I suppose when they get the money that they need for the project.






















"Rebuilt in 1825 by the British, this church is located on the site of an earlier French Roman Catholic church of 1690."

Haha. Of course. Can't even settle on religion.

I fell in love with this church. Something about that bright stained glass and tile floors and bright Caribbean sky.











































The stained glass above the altar was stunning, but some building or something was constructed right behind it so the sun couldn't shine through and illuminate the piece! :(























I thought the reflection of the bell tower exactly opposite was pretty cool.
Among the destroyed floor there were broken tablets that used to hang on the walls, some shoved beneath the dilapidated stairs.






































I don't want to bore with endless pictures of my obsession, so here is a last one of the Church. Ross by the clock tower.






















Up the street is another church, but this one is used regularly for worship. Since it isn't old and crumbling I didn't take pictures. Gratuitous photo taken awkwardly because I feel weird taking pictures of functioning churches.

















That just about wraps up our adventure downtown, with the exception of...

SNOW CONE MAAAAAN!

















All I can say is that is the BEST $2.50 EC I have ever spent in my life. I think he may put a little bit of nutmeg in the syrup or something, and man oh man it tastes delicious!

Dad, all I could think was, "Second Career."


















Definitely should have gotten at least two! It was a fantastic day and from all that walking up and down the hills of St. George I was definitely tuckered out.

-Conclusion of Downtown Adventures posts-

No comments:

Post a Comment