Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pandy Beach and Sea Glass

More Christmas Break exploring! Friday morning (12/28/2012). Ross and I decided to take a bit of a longer stroll. Like I mentioned before, I love walking and getting out and I am forever grateful that Ross enjoys/likes/puts up with/tolerates/indulges my need to be out and about. This time we walked "all the way" to Pandy beach. When I told people most of them thought I was pretty crazy. It was only about a 45 minute walk there which was way better then what I thought it would be.

Here are some fun signs we saw along the way.















Everyone is Kirani Krazy! And I don't blame them, a country's first Olympic gold medalist is pretty cool.














Ross and I were pretty excited to see "Ross Point Complex."



































Neither of us had ever been to Pandy beach, so it was cool to check it out. I heard that it was a pretty good beach to collect sea glass. Well, to be honest I heard mixed reviews. Some said it was awful, some said it was amazing. I guess I filed it away in my head as "pretty good" to sort of compromise. Haha.

View of Pandy beach north:













View of Pandy beach south:













I was pleasantly surprised! There was lots of sea glass for picking. Sea glass, is just broken glass that has tumbled around in the ocean until it is weathered and smooth. It doesn't sound glamorous but I am officially smitten.






















I guess I always need to take Ross with me because he is pretty good at finding rare pieces. There is definitely a hierarchy of sea glass.

As you might guess, the green, white and brown are most common because those are popular colors used by bottling companies for soft drinks and beer etc. I love the tiny little dark/ bright blue colors. Those are fun to look for because they are so rare so you feel like you've hit the jackpot when you find one.

This article about sea glass is interesting because it explains where the different colors come from. It mentions that pink is extremely rare because it often comes from Great Depression-era plates. Pretty cool. Challenge accepted!

In the middle of the picture you can see some random shells Ross and I found. Among them are a couple of EC coins worn smooth, some even have holes in them. Sea coins I call them, clever and intuitive right?

No comments:

Post a Comment