Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Island Life

In case any of you have forgotten, I live in Greanda, West Indies. Everyone calls me lucky because I live in "Paradise." But let me tell you about said, "Paradise," or a tiny rock in the middle of the ocean, whichever you please. I live a very weird life.

My weird life is now my normal life.

What do I mean?! Well, let me tell you just a few weird/normal things.

At work a while back I found a crab INSIDE the building, just chillin. How long had he been there?! That's weird.

But weirder than that, a woman in the office simply grabbed a coffee mug, caught it, and released it outside like it was nothing, like she caught crabs inside the building all the time. That's weird.

We get traffic here in Grenada - usually a herd of goats on the road. That's weird.

Thanks for the picture Tammy!

















Recently my friend sent me this package.














That's a swimsuit and some spiced apple cider. It's November. Don't worry though, I used them in the same day. That's weird.

Sometimes I need to hop on a local bus to get downtown. That is pretty normal, but does your city bus have this awesome airbrushed flaming heart on the ceiling? That's weird.


















Last week I went grocery shopping with my friend and she took these two pictures.

Exhibit A:

















I guess this might not be too weird. Right dad? You see this all the time at your favorite Asian market!

But this, this.... Exhibit B. Definitely the first time I've seen this sliced and diced, fresh for sale.


















Iguana eat that really bad!!!

Just for you Tay.












(Not really) But like I mentioned to my friend after she posted the pics, my second thought after "interesting," was to check the $/lb.

I did that. I seriously checked to see if it was a good deal, which pretty much means that I considered eating squid and/or iguana. Maybe in a nice "surf and turf" stir fry?  Yeah, that is pretty weird.

Speaking of weird food. This tropical "Paradise" (yep, still in quotes!), has lots of tropical fruits. Some are good. Some are ... volatile, in the sense that it's easy to get a "bad" one. Your window ripeness is often slim. I don't particularly care for most of them. But on an average trip to the local fruit stand my friend picked this up once.



This is called a sugar apple. It smells awful and feels and looks creepy. It reminds me of this baby alien:




















It used to be weird, but now, sugar apple, now you are just normal.

2 comments:

  1. haha, you crack me up, girl. HAHA. I love that you looked to see if the iguana was a decent price per pound. haha. TIG, man!!!

    ReplyDelete