Monday, November 4, 2013

{Window} Shop 'Til You Drop!

Before coming moving to a speck in the middle of the ocean I never did online shopping. I never oggled cute clothes and shoes that I could or couldn't afford. This is how I shop.



I walk into a store, and go straight for the clearance section. Or better yet, I spend hours going through every single rack at the thrift store. I digress.

Funny Encouragement Ecard: May the thrift shop odds be ever in your favor.

Now, here in Grenada, I spend too much time online shopping. And now, they are all clothes that I can't afford. So I sit and look for deals and free shipping until I get bored and give up or Ross comes home and I feel stupid and close the dozens of tabs.

I'm finding out that living in Grenada has made me a very self-destructive person.

What do I mean?

I mean it's Monday morning and to add insult to injury I like to look at the Target weekly ad.

I log on, and look though all the new shiny things and I hurt myself.

And maybe I cry - maybe I don't.



Everything in the USA in all of its capitalistic glory, is convenient. I was telling my friend the other day that I could almost literally walk to 4 stores that sold swiss cheese in the time it takes me to wait in line at the deli here and have them tell me they are out of swiss cheese. Yeah, that is a little dramatic, and maybe stretching it, but whatever. The bottom line is IGA needs to have swiss cheese. 


So back to Target. I'm looking through the weekly ad, trying to feel numb. Trying to hold back the tears.
Most girls "window shop" for necklaces from J. Crew on sale for $150. Or ugly designer t-shirts on sale for $190. I window shop for brand new, bright, shiny, never used on any previous island resident's butt, non-stinky, moldy, tattered towels, for $4!! How about large bags of Skittles, yes people, the rainbow is at stake here, 2 for $9? Nail polish for $2, Libby's pumpkin puree $1.69. To further prove how pathetic I am, I even eye things I have no need for here. Like fuzzy slippers and microfleece blankets.


Now that we are in the thick of things it is hard to imagine sometime when everything will be so ... accessible. But for now I will settle for this life.


No comments:

Post a Comment