Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Getty: AGAIN?!

At the rate I blog about my food excursions, you'd think someone just wheels me out to eateries Wall-e style.




And although that is somewhat accurate, I also do other cool stuff. You know, while I am traveling to an eatery.

Saturdays are always special days. When I was younger they were special because they were the christened cleaning day of the week where somehow mom always found us and assigned us "Saturday Chores." But now that I am older and more of a novelty to have around, my parents take me fun places on their days off!

As we were figuring out what to do, my dad noticed that The Getty Museum had a special exhibit on none other than Ansel Adams. We were both pretty excited for this as good ol' Ansel has been quite a favorite between us for many years. We quickly added it to the itinerary.

While looking for photos of Ansel Adams, I found this one taken by no other than Ms. Dorthea Lange, my other favorite photographer.
It's a bit funny though, because usually something as amazing as THE Getty Museum (you know just the popular one with such paintings as Van Gogh's Irises) elicits eye rolls and groans. Yeah, it is embarrassing, and yeah we are spoiled but growing up it was THE field trip.

I swear we only got one field trip a year but every. time. it was to that dang Getty museum. So every year, our one school-day-of-freedom was spent looking at Irises. Again. And listening to 100 year old docents drone on about the pond scum tiles in the architecture.

Since I've grown older I like to think I have gained a greater appreciation of it, but to be honest I can't be sure. In fact, last summer Ross and I went to The Getty with the family too (see? just can't shake that annual trip).

Gratuitous gorgeous picture of me, with the Los Angeles skyline, Summer 2013.


The exhibit was amazing. I just wish it was larger. It was fantastic to see his original prints. So much of his work was in the execution of the development of his negatives. It is fun to imagine the whole process; from hauling his camera around Yosemite to finishing the development of that final print.


It makes to hard (and just plain snobbish) of me to mention my favorite print, because it just doesn't do it justice. But, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico was absolutely stunning. I mean, it has it's very own Wiki page. I pretty much hung my head in shame after every photo I took for the rest of the day.

Luckily mom took this one.


It was just a short trip to see the special exhibit. I have never seen The Getty so crowded but I have also never been on a Saturday (no field trips on the weekend).


Afterwards we headed to a bookstore mom had on her list. And it will probably continue to be on her list because it is really cool!



Children's Book World is an independent bookstore with lots of fun treasures and employee recommendations. This summer they have weekend events with author book signings. I scored this awesome dinosaur book, Flip-o-saurus.

After we floated over to the Farmer's Market. I spotted a Kmart and after a relatively short return errand and almost getting capped by a grouchy employee, we headed out to eat.

I know right? #finally

Golden State Burger is tiny, but hip. Pricey, but delicious. Oh, so delicious.


The bun alone was amazing, and they put arugula on the burger. Mmm. They use Virgil's root beer in their root beer floats and they have horchata gelato. The caramel brownie flavor was actually better.

A couple stores down there was some club of some sort that everyone wanted to be at. I'm guessing someone famous was outside because there were cameras and everyone wanted their picture taken. #justanotherdayinLA We were in the "TMZ" after all.


It's always pretty entertaining to just drive around.

I'm sad this is my last Saturday with the parents for a while. But I always have a habit of floating back to the 661.

No comments:

Post a Comment