Sunday, May 18, 2014

See Ya Lata- Hold that Thought

As many of you know, Ross and I planned on flying out of Grenada Saturday, May 17th. You know, along with every other person in Grenada.

Friday night was really weird; packing up and putting the finishing cleaning touches on the apartment.

Ross cleaning off the top of the closet
All our stuff from the past two years was packed up in 4 bags, 2 carry-ons and a couple backpacks. I was pretty surprised but all the bags were comfortably under weight. In the morning my fantastic friend Erin gave us a ride to the airport. As we were leaving Lance aux Epines I saw a SGU school bus. That wasn't so weird, but it was awesome to think that I would never have to wait for, miss, or ride one of those ever again. As Erin drove down Maurice Bishop Highway, windows down and fresh Grenada air blowing on my face, something so normal felt surreal, "This is it."

Ross and I planned on flying out that day but not really. Long story short, American Airlines consistently overbooks their flights (particularly at this time of year) and they offer vouchers to travelers who "give up" their seat and travel on standby.

I have an amazing, absolutely incredible friend who helped us out. It really could have been a disastrous morning what with my travel reservation made in my maiden name, a couple false alarms, and re-booking our tickets. My friends sure aren't making it easy to leave this place.

Ross and I decided to give up our seats and fly standby. This meant we would stay an extra day in Grenada. It's a pretty sweet deal, they give you American Airlines voucher money, a food stipend, and put you up in a local resort. Also, they provide your transport to and from the airport in a nice taxi van.

I was blown away by the service of the staff at Dodgy Dock, the resort we stayed at. The room was far better than I could have hoped for.



The room had two levels and gorgeous views! I thought the decor was pretty cool too.

The second level had a bathroom with a walk-in shower with jets! And another pretty view.


I think our favorite feature was the AC though! I thought we might go to one of the pools they have, or venture to the beach, but we just relaxed inside. I honestly don't know why we have never traveled like this before. It was awesome to be packed and moved out of the apartment, but have time to decompress and say a couple more goodbyes.



The best part was that our original itinerary had a 24 hour layover in LAX, so we arrived at our final destination in Utah at about the same time had we not taken the voucher. It was a truly beautiful last day in Grenada, and it made the upcoming full day of travel a breeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment