Saturday, May 3, 2014

Happy Birthday Krystle!

August 2013: 
I met Krystle at a Significant Others Organization Opening Social. I'm not much one for huge social gatherings, but for some reason I decided to go. After I got my food, I grabbed a seat on a curb out of everyone's way. After a little bit I struck up a conversation with an SO next to me, who was new to the island. That SO was Krystle, and I never could have guessed we would have so much fun and be so close in the following months.

Krystle is a fantastic friend for many reasons. One of which is that she is very chill. She gets me. Life here in Grenada, and as a med student spouse can be tiring and frustrating. It is amazing to be able to hang out with her and just have all those frustrations melt away.

She accepts me for who I am, mistakes and all. She doesn't "forgive" me because she never thinks it was an issue in the first place. I bet you are wondering what that means. Yes, there is a specific story for this one.

Story Time (fast-forward to present day):
I told Krystle I would make a treat for her birthday. After pestering her she finally gave in and said something with peanut butter and chocolate would be great, but I surely didn't have to make anything for her. Well, I totally botched it. Take a look:



It was a marshmallow brownie with peanut butter chips. I am so embarrassed I can't even include the original recipe link. Being me, I figured frosting always makes things better right?



Not so much. Due to the Grand Canyon quality of crevices on the brownie pie, the frosting sunk and fell. Haha. Do you think Krystle cared or made a big deal about it? No way! That is what I love about her. Not only is she very kind, but she appreciates you. Krystle is one of those friends who I have only known a little while, but I feel like we have been friends forever. I always feel like I can 100% be myself around her.

For her birthday we hung out at the Radisson hotel pool, then later grabbed some ice cream at Options with her husband (see what I did there? Garrett is the awkward third wheel in this relationship!).


Krystle is making leaving Grenada very bittersweet. I am really really going to miss her and her easy-going demeanor. I'll miss our pool days, our deep conversations, are funny conversations. I'll miss walking to her place for exactly 1 stalk of celery and 1 pickle.

But I know that the fiery flames of Grenada forge strong friendships that distance cannot break. 


 Also, she knows too much. So I have to keep her close.

Have a wonderful year Krystle!

Know that I am always here for you, and that this isn't goodbye forever. I still need to visit the Jersey shore!


No comments:

Post a Comment