Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Super-Market Experience

Vallarta.



Just, Vallarta.

It's the main reason that California is the best state in the Nation. While I was looking for places to live in the area Ross and I will hypothetically be living in, Vallarta was the main component. Others were looking at the close proximity of Whole Foods, or popular restaurants or fancy retailers. I'm a little more simple. Give me Mexican food, or give me death.

Vallarta is Latino food store that is gorgeous, so gorgeous I've already mentioned it on the blog before.



You just walk in and you feel like you are at a party, and no, that isn't just the bachata you are dancing to. It's the jugador de six packs, its the palm trees and three foot pinatas. It's the neon lights too.

Let's talk about produce. Oh the glorious produce. When my friend was moving to California we were discussing the cost of living. Taxes are higher, gas is more expensive, but oh the prices for produce will make the most vehement veggie hate load up their cart.


Take a moment to adore the peruano beans and tomatillos. I love you! I have missed you!

When the weekly market flyers arrived in the mail I just stared in jaw-dropped-awe at the advertised prices. 99 cents for a pound of strawberries?
$1 for 3 lbs of bananas?
$1 for 3 pounds of onions (sorry Tay)?
$1 for 2 pounds of Granny Smith Apples?!
$1 for 5 POUNDS of grapefruit?



This truly is a magical place.

They don't always have the American brand you are looking for but they make up for it in the innumerable amount of Goya products, microwaveable pupusas, and submarinos.


Okay actually the Submarinos sucked but I needed them for a recipe.


They have a huge meat counter, their very own sour cream/ crema counter. That whole back wall of the store is covered in all sorts of counters. Then, you have the restaurant and tortilleria! Fresh, steamy tortillas.



The crowned jewel comes near the end of your complete experience. The bakery. Yes, the very bakery I ordered my wedding cake from.



Please never make me leave this place.

I made it out pretty easy, just two pieces of pan dulce, 1 small horchata, 1 slice of tres leches cake, and don't forget the huge thing of refried beans and fresh chips.


I was in Heaven, because if Heaven doesn't have pan dulce, I don't know if I want to go.

If none of this sounds appealing, maybe you want a medium sized saint for $8.99 (don't worry they have large ones too).






No comments:

Post a Comment