Saturday, May 10, 2014

Life in the Fishbowl

From the social media level, one might think that life in Grenada is FAN-freaking-TASTIC!! Pina coladas, girls nights, hanging by the pool, walks along the beach, beautiful sunsets.

And that can be true, but like anything posted on social media there is a deeper darker side of the Grenada Experience. It's one that is only talked about in the depths and secrecy of your own soul, maybe a one-on-one with your closest friend. Maybe midnight tears with your mom on the phone, stolen texts to your BFF.



I'm not convinced that everyone feels this way, but if I thought I was the only soul on this island that felt this way, I wouldn't be writing this. 

The thing about the Grenada Experience,
is that we live in a fish bowl.


With the added "benefit" of all forms of social media, everyone (every SO) can see every angle and detail if your life, or the ones we choose to share anyways.



When I first got to Grenada I was overwhelmed with how friendly the SOs (Significant Others) were. It felt like I was entering a new family of friends that I just hadn't met yet. But like all shiny things in life, that faded. I realized an important ugly truth in life:

Everything I needed to know about life, I learned in High School.

I'm not talking about the Pythagorean Theorem. I am not talking about a plethora of literary devices. I'm not talking about the dates of important historic events.

I'm talking about the fact that cliques and drama will always be present. The uglier truth is that on a tiny island you CANNOT. ESCAPE. IT.

It can be terribly depressing and frustrating. You can feel alienated and alone.



It has puzzled me. Instead of lifting one another up and commiserating together, it can feel very dog eat dog down here. Sorry for the cannibalistic deserted island stereotype. #notsorry

Maybe this is what "true" married life is like. A huge contest of who is the best wife. 

Who's losing their baby weight the quickest, who's having the most adventures, who's husband is the smartest, who's swimsuit is cutest, who's getting better deals at the corner fruit stand, who's baking the best celebration dessert.


One of the best things anyone ever told me was, "Kristen, it's not a contest." 
You know why that is great advice? Because it's NOT a contest. We're not comparing (or the point is, we shouldn't be).

Part Two of this ever-growing post is called:
"No Place for an Introvert."

Life and friendship in Grenada is a constant and concerted effort to make and maintain friendships. Because the pond from which to fish for friends is so small, friendships can tend to be awkward and forced. Take a second to imagine what a nightmare this would be for an introvert like myself. If you don't edge your way into a clique right off the bat, you have to spend the next two years floating in the ether.

What is worse, you are absolutely replaceable. Said "pond" is depleted and replenished every term. New SOs enter for a swim and others dry off and leave. A new SO comes in that has kids more your age or more of an interest in babysitting? Replaced. A new SO comes in that likes the same team as your hubby? Replaced. A new SO comes in that has a car and is liberal with rides? Replaced. You couldn't make it to the girl's night? Replaced. You don't like to gossip? Replaced.



The concept is simple enough. And it wouldn't even be a big deal except, as mentioned, you cannot escape people on this island. If you have a falling out with someone, if you are involved in shunning or drama, you get to "bump" into them everywhere. You'll get to hear about all the adventures everyone is having. You'll get to hear about how authentic and genuine everyone is.



Replaced. 

So there is your S.O. warning. It's not much different from life in general.
You take things for what they are, and just try to be the best person you can be.




2 comments:

  1. I'm the creep reading through all your old blog posts from Grenada and then commenting on something you posted years ago. Hi! I can't get enough of your GIFs. Also, I'm so excited to discover that I'm not the only SGU wife who feels this way about the Grenada social life. My husband is 5th term, and although we've come to accept Grenada for the beautiful place it can be (after loooots of struggles), we're pretttty excited to get back to America and a new crowd soon. We have made a few friends here, but our only "close" friends left last term, and for the most part it seems like the SOs thrive on drama. It's even more like high school than actual high school was. Like you said, all I can do is be the best little introvert I can be and keep away from the crazy.

    Also, I wish we had been in Grenada at the same time because I feel like we would have been buds. I think I'm a lot more similar to you than I am to the girls here now, even/especially in the branch. Heck, we probably know lots of the same people you knew, since we got here right after you left. Good luck to you and your husband with all the upcoming residency stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. Not a creep at all! Glad you stumbled upon my little melodramatic corner of the internet. I'm glad you liked my post- as painful as it is to be able to relate to it! It's definitely a side you can't go into when someone says, "Oh! Greanda? How was that?!" haha.
      Congrats on making it to term 5, assuming your SO is med that means you are almost done with the rock! What sweet, sweet victory on the long hard road. Feel free to read my blog all you'd like without feeling creepy. :) I love being able to talk to people who can relate to this unique situation. I've tried to use tags so if there is something specific, those might help. Feel free to contact me if you ever need someone to chat/ vent/ commiserate with!

      Thanks again. Good luck with finishing up!

      Delete