Friday, June 6, 2014

Red Butte Gardens & Razz the Rattler

I decided before the beginning of this week that I would spend the night aty sister's place in SLC Friday night. So that afternoon, armed with my newly acquired phone and spare change (also newly acquired) Ross dropped me off at the train station with just enough time to buy my ticket and play around with the panorama function on the camera.


Not bad for my first but I still think I like this one better. 


I know some people don't like public transportation, I am not one of those people. Especially having not been behind the wheel for almost two years I was actually a little relieved I wouldn't be navigating the one-way, wide streets of downtown SLC. 

I had never rode the Front Runner train before, but if there is one thing I've learned from life, it's the affirmation to the old adage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans." 

So with the help of a friendly UTA man, and following the herd, I made it to Temple Square where my sister works. There were only about a dozen brides and their wedding parties. So Flash took the opportunity to get some photos himself. 


I found my way to my sister's office. She told me I could wait in the east lobby by some murals. Getting a little over zealous with my new phone, I used fancily used the compass the find east. Cos, you know, how could I miss this HUGE Jesus mural and lobby with a couple dozen couches. 

Please note the cute grandma who scared me half to death by ghosting up on me and sitting RIGHT BEHIND me in this huge lobby. I have personal space issues #evenatthatdistance. 

After a quick hello to the ever beautiful sister I headed to City Creek, an outdoor but also indoor shopping mall. I of course found too many good things. 



But the best treasure of all was an impromptu meeting with my best friend Pip!! It's been years since we have seen each other and that's just too long. It was a short visit but now that she lives in Utah I can see her any time. Hooray! 

Earlier this week I asked Rissa if she had been to Red Butte Gardens, because I was considering going to a concert there. Funny thing, just the next day her coworker invited her to go the the Gardens Friday. Lucky for me she extended the invite. 

After dinner we moseyed over to Red Butte Gardens to meet Rissa's friends. 


I love gardens, and I love plants and flowers. Also, I love strolls. Red Butte ended up being my little bit of Heaven on Earth in Utah. 


I haven't ever lived in Utah long enough to be mad I haven't done certain outings (like this) but I am glad I discovered The Garden as soon as I have. It was a very beautiful and magical place. We went in the evening and the sun was playing on all the plants and flowers. 


The variety here seems almost endless. Succulents, cacti, hibiscus, roses, lillies, herbs, veggies, fruits, and more. 


There are awesome gardens for children, and even little lizards benches. Here is my sister on a Gila monster that looks like Toothless. 


Also, not far from here Rissa almost sat on a rattlesnake. 


We called him Razz cos he was near a raspberry bush. 

The Gardens also have an amazing view of Salt Lake City. It was really beautiful with the sun setting. 


As you can tell, I had about a million pictures by this point. It's hard to choose which ones to post. I also had ample opportunity to try out my panorama picture effect.


Every part was so beautiful. I can't wait to go back and explore some more. My favorite plant was this one, the Dragon Arum.


It traps in bugs and you can see them all squirming inside of the plant. Super creepy.

Not creepy? Beautiful sisters, color coordinated, in a gorgeous garden!


After the gardens we went home and watched Finding Nemo, and crashed.


I am so excited to see what adventures tomorrow brings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment