Friday, June 27, 2014

Kentucky Day 4: Tennessee Road Trip -ZAXBY'S-


When Kyle and I left Nashville for Memphis we had no idea the terror that was awaiting us.

For. Reals.

It's one of those traumatic events that is so traumatic you can't even re-hash it. The pain is still so fresh and real. But just one word:

Traffic.

Some of the cars were behaving strangely


Being from the Los Angeles area, I know traffic. I'm a bit of a traffic snob. But this was by far the most horrific traffic I've ever been in in my LIFE. Unfortunately there is only really one road to Memphis from Nashville. And as luck would have it, everyone in the midwest-South-United States wanted to go to Memphis. Aaaand, there was a very severe crash on that same highway.

So we sat in traffic for several several hours. Kyle and I were starting to get a little loopy and hungry after all those hours of tiny inching forward. Eventually we found out that we weren't going around and accident but rather, a whole stretch of freeway was simply closed. That was crazy because had we known, we could've gotten off a lot sooner. So here we were, who knows where in some random place in Tennessee, starving, lost, and it starts to pour rain so hard we couldn't see where we were going.



When it rains it pours right? Well, lucky for us, we saw a bright shinning rainbow in the midst of the storm.



My best friend Katie is from Georgia and she always raves about Zaxby's. I had wanted to try it during my visit, but I didn't want to be pushy about it. But as luck would have it, there was Zaxby's our shinning neon rainbow of hope. Kyle and I quickly ordered and snarfed down our food in silence. It was such a holy moment. And in that holy moment, I think that Zaxby's chicken may have been the most delicious meal we had ever consumed.


It was exhausting to know how much road we still had ahead but grudgingly we got back to the car and on the road. We figured out a tiny back road to take and the sunset was beautiful (albeit a bit misty and ghost-filled). 


Where am I? I love this place. 


It wasn't until around midnight when we finally made it to Mississippi! We were so excited to see Ryan and Jen. Bring on the weekend!!




No comments:

Post a Comment