Friday, June 13, 2014

QW #21: Super Powers

I spent the last two nights staying up ridiculously late reading a comic Teo let me borrow, Final Crisis. It's pretty intense, and knowing I am not equipped to write a review for it, I am not even going to attempt.

 
 
Teo told me that it was a must read. Especially before I started the next Flash Comics. Here are some of my favorite moments from Final Crisis.
 
 
First Frame: Super girl (Cass) with Streaks (Synge). Cass asking Synge to not pee in the laundry basket (again) while she is gone saving the world. Sheesh Streaks/Synge!
 
Second Frame: Flash Family.... isn't it about time?! Flashes know that when the entire multiverse is avalanching into oblivion, family comes first. Keep it solid!
 
Last Frame: Black Lightning says, " ... formal education enriches and provides a tried-and-tested framework to help us get the most out of those (street/ real life) experiences." It really bugs me when people try to say that comics are worthless and just violent garbage. They are so much more than that.
 
 
This brings me to the quote I chose for "QW" today.
 
 
"We're not about the names people call us, we're about what we do, don't you think? You have powers, use them for what you know is right and leave the labels to history and the media."
-Black Lightning
 
To me, this encapsulates so much about being super. Sometimes I get wrapped up in the adjectives people use to describe me. I feel I need to prove to them, to the world, that I am NOT that. That I am so different from what they think and say. But what is truly important is what I do.
 
Not all of us have heat vision, not all of us have super strength, nor can many of us run lightning fast, but we all have "powers" so to speak. I'm constantly reminded of what amazing people grace my life. Normal people, with super powers; super kindness, super attentiveness, super flexibility, super perception, super understanding, super acceptance. Whether they know it or not, they are listening to Black Lightning and use them for what they know is right. Not for glory, not for laud, not for titles and fame, just to make this world a better place for everyone in it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment