Thursday, June 26, 2014

Kentucky Day 3: The Haunted Mansion (KY Style)

Today Kyle and I headed out to the other big city in Kentucky and home of rival of University of Louisville. Even before I landed in Kentucky I was a little nervous about the pronunciation of the city. Kyle is such an amazing brother. I don't know how he is so patient and calm but it works out perfectly complimentary to my personality (see text convo below).


I saw this shirt in a gift shop, which I think sums it up perfectly.


Kyle advised me to just pronounce it like I had a mouthful of marbles. Nailed it.

We drove through Louisville and straight through to Indiana. So here are some pictures in Indiana, looking across to Kentucky, on the the banks of the Ohio River. Needless to say this California is so confused.


In California you can drive 3 hours in any direction and still be in the same state. Honestly, I didn't even know other states existed. 


I'm taking a million selfies over here, Kyle just thinks it's so passe. 


Next we looked up some supposedly fun things to do, an armed with google maps embarked. Kyle and I had a pretty good ol' timey laugh at the situation. Nowadays you can just use the internet to find something fun to do, then your smart phone will tell you how to get there.
Back in our day google maps was ask mom and dad for the road atlas. They'd probably give you a cool laminated map of Los Angeles and use an expo marker to map out your route for your beach day with your buddies. Then when you ended up in some sketchy neighborhood of LA you could use the loaned cell phone to them call for directions home. Kids these days have it soo good!

The lushness of Kentucky is still not getting old.


We set out to Whitehall Historic Home to check things out and see if it was worth the $ for the tour, which prompts:
Kristen and Kyle's
Unofficial Guide
to Not Spending a Dime in Louisville, KY!


-Whitehall Historic Home-


#1. Take advantage of the beautiful gardens and small neature walk on the grounds. 


#2. Then, when you notice no docent is waiting on the front steps to take your money....



#3. Feel free to creep around the perimeter of the building, peering into the windows, taking pictures if you wish.


Three easy steps and you can experience the Whitehall Home for free! It helps to have a background as a California so you have the natural ability/ creativity to relate all things to museums or Disneyland. I peered into the house and commented on the furniture and general decor:
"All this stuff I already saw in the Getty [J. Paul Getty Museum]!"
To which Kyle pointed to the below statue and said:
"And that stuff I already saw at the Haunted Mansion [Haunted Mansion, Disneyland attraction]."


Haha. Needless to say, we are pros who do NOT need to spend $5 a pop for a tour of some old house. 




No comments:

Post a Comment