Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Review in Pictures

I am a little embarrassed to say that when New Year's Eve rolls around I don't always feel particularly impressed or grateful for all that has elapsed in the past 365 days.

But this year is different. Last night I was laying in bed, thinking, "WOW! Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and then it's a whole new year!" I've been spending my time off writing and catching up on my blog posts of things that have happened months ago. It has really got me thinking of what a truly amazing year I have had. I tend to be a bit skeptical come my birthday that the next year will be as great as everyone wishes for me. But as I stand on the cusp of 2015, I feel so lucky to have had so many adventures in these past 12 months. I have a bit of a tradition to be held to on this blog. 12 pictures for 2012, 13 pictures for 2013. It feels only right that this year is 14 pictures for the year 2014.

2014 in 14 Pictures!

1) January
Okay, Okay, I already cheated, this collage counts as one photo. January 2014 might have been my favorite month in the whole time I lived in Grenada. We hiked Mt. Qua Qua, which was an exhausting but rewarding adventure. And we traveled to the northern island of Grenada called Carriacou. If you can believe it, Carriacou is 5 x more beautiful than Grenada. If you offered to give me a vacation to Grenada I would debate it, but if you offered me a vacation to Carriacou, I would go in a heartbeat. We also built this little sand-snowman to rub in the fact that we live in a beautiful, sunny, sandy place.


2) February
This might be the most cliche picture of the year: Husband love on Valentine's Day. But when your spouse is in medical school, there comes a point when you stop expecting things or, you end up picking up your own gifts or goodies on your bus trip to the store. On top of that, holiday goodies are always expensive in Grenada. You can imagine my surprise when I came home from work to find all this! My favorite chocolates, and lots of other goodies.


3) March 
In March, my parents visited Grenada. You can read about the whole trip here. It was an amazing and blissful week. It was fun to have my family here to show them the beauty and nightmare that Grenada can be. We took hundreds of photos all over Grenada but I settled on one that is a little more unconventional. An unexpected activity while they were here was hand fishing up at Grand Etang. Pretty freaky, hilarious to watch. 


4) April 
Was a pretty simple month as the pictures tell. Kind of the calm before the storm, the second to last mile in a marathon (I would suppose). I chose a picture that depicts every day life in Grenada. Not a beautiful beach picture, or a fancy dinner, but waiting at the bus stop. I would venture to say that a great part of my Grenada days were spent just waiting for the bus (well and missing the bus and walking/running to the bus). I look at the picture and am struck with fondness and horror, I can feel the sun bearing down on my face and sweat gathering on my body. But even now looking back, it still seems so far away to me. Just waiting with Ross for a bus. 


5) May 
Our favorite place to eat in Grenada was Schnitzel Haus. As I was fed up and ready to leave the island, people would ask what I would miss the most. I would usually half jokingly answer with, "Schnitzel Haus." On this occasion we went out to eat with my friend Krystle who is more likely who I will really miss when I leave Grenada. Here we are with the owners of the restaurant. The most lovely, happy Germans maybe ever.


6 & 7) June 
June might have been the most jam-packed month. And I say that now knowing that moving and securing housing would happen. June was a month of visiting friends and family. Friends in Vernal, family in Utah, family in Kentucky, family in Tennessee. How could I possibly limit the photos from that month?! I already cheated with the collage so I will try to do this with only TWO. 

Could you find two happier friends (read about my Vernal trip here)? I think we are laughing at something Larry said. Most likely.


FOUR of us in one picture. That deserves a post, or check out my entire Kentucky trip here


8) July 
I'm starting to sound a little insane and self-imprtant when every month is the next "big" month. But I guess July wasn't BIG so much as it was ultimate happiness when this moment came. I can almost promise that I will never get sick of this picture. The moment when after two years, Ross could finally, and completely take a deep breath. I can't remember the last time I saw him so happy. Read about that moment more here


9) August
In August we got to road trip back to California with my grandparents. And as scary as the unknown is, how bad can it be when family is so close? I feel so honored to spend time with my grandparents. They are the coolest, funniest, most generous and caring people I know. 


10) September
As Ross and I settled in, we spent every spare moment with my sister or parents, or BOTH! One trip we took was to see a giant inflatable duck in the San Pedro harbor. We had lunch at the fish market. I still need to blog about it. Even with all the pictures we took with that duck, this one is my favorite. My mom hates pictures and I feel so happy when she agrees to be in one. I love my momma and I love getting pictures with her.


11) October 
I love doing a year review because (and as corny as this sounds) it is really humbling. I think part of that is because compared to last year, this year has been bursting at the seams with family and friends. All the stress and issues in my life fade when I can see I am so constantly surrounded by love.

In October my bestie and her fam forsook their comfortable home to stay in my tiny apartment for a night. It was a blast! I love that family with all my heart and hanging out with my godson brings so much light and life to my life. Being best friends (at least with this girl) means that we often have identical clothing. From our glasses to shirts to pants, we could swap wardrobes and not even notice. A bit ridiculous, yes.


12 & 13) November 
I could go on and on about all the fun things I've done each month, but I realize that is why I have this blog in the first place. I have to remind myself that this is just a review. November isn't often my favorite month, it tends to be filled with the mundane and stressful. But this November was the best month of the year. 

With all the pictures you take on a road trip across america, and all the family and friends you see along the way, I choose this one to represent. It was the longest day of the road trip. And pretty tiring. It takes a special kind of person to be stuck in the car with for a whole week, but lucky for me, I was "stuck" with my sister. My sister who can help me keep a smile on my face even after long stressful days. 


Even with how wonderful the month was, I choose yet another random photo. Because it embodies pure happiness. Ross bought me a large pink donut with sprinkles. My eyes are filled with joy.

14) December
The last month of it all. And on the first day of this month I started a new job. And excuse my vulgar language, but I am pretty damn proud of myself. Probably a little more proud than I should be for being a 25 year old with a full time job. I know that is simply what I am supposed to do, but sheesh it was a feat. And sheesh I am tired and exhausted at the end of the day. I will get the hang of it, but for now I am will keep this beaming smile through adversity. 


So there you have it! I can't believe this year is over. It seems like Carriacou in January was ages ago. It has been an incredible year filled with adventure and plane rides. 2015 has big shoes to fill, but I am excited to see how it can even exceed this year. Come at me bro! 



No comments:

Post a Comment