Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Crazie?

I've never been a Christmas Crazie. I've met some. But I've never been one.


Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and the holidays. I really had to up my game while I was living in Grenada because Christmas cheer is just a different thing, and your resources are often limited.

For example, I found perhaps the largest and last (of it's size) Christmas tree on the island. The lady at the store shoved it in a trash bag and I carried that sucka on the reggae bus home, walking part of the way, hauling this tree along the road, cars whizzing past. You can check out the tree in it's spindly Charlie-Brown-Christmas glory here. I have no regrets. I would spend three hours purchasing, transporting, and hauling that thing all. over. again!


Now that I am in the post-Grenada phase of my life (praise the Lord) I get Christmas "back." I get Christmas in it's full Americanized, capitalistic, materialistic glory. Annd...

I am beginning to wonder if I am becoming a Christmas Crazie.

Example #1:
I have two Christmas trees. If Christmas trees come much easier and fresher in the US, I get two right? Last night I dreamed about trees. I dreamed about more trees. I want a tree for my desk at work. I want one in the kitchen, on top of the microwave, on the porch, in the bathroom, in the shower! Christmas trees are the gateway drug to Christmas Crazie.


Example #2:
I WANT NEED MORE LIGHTS.

I live in a small apartment. I don't have a lawn, yard, or roof to adorn with lights. But every time I am at the store I have this urge to run to the Christmas section and buy everything that twinkles and shines in LED (or not) glory.



Example #3:
Window clings. I believe the window cling hoarding stems from two things. 1) Aforementioned lack of opportunity to decorate with lights, and 2) being on a budget. Hello 99 Cent Store! I honestly get offended when Target wants $2 for their window clings (although arguably they are pretty cute). I saw that my neighbors had window clings that were colored light bulb shapes. Examples #2 and #3 combined?!


At this point I think I am still safe. I think acknowledging is the first step to change. So I will continue to keep tabs on this issue. Thank you for your support and cooperation in this matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment