Sunday, January 4, 2015

Palm Springs & Kyle Visit

As the Widdis slowly dwindle down, I can't help but think of the children's song, "Three little monkeys jumping on the bed..."

Except we don't fall off and break our heads, we jump on planes and head back to reality. Which, you could argue, but be the same or worse than falling off the bed and breaking your head.

Kyle is the last Widdi standing and as a result, I kidnapped him and made him come hang out with me for a few days.

I was trying to think of a fun excursion for us to go on, and I thought destination: Palm Springs might be interesting. So off we went.



We had about zero expectations and about the same about of preparation. We decided it would be better that way because if it was a bust, no one would be to blame. I was surprised at what a short drive it was, the landscape was pretty different even from the Palmdale that we are used to.

First we found ourselves at a Farmer's Market that was less farmer and more old-people-stuff. But we had some delicious tacos and fry bread so it didn't much matter what else was being sold.

Then we walked around the main street and wandered into all the stores.



Palm Springs has their own walk of fame stars like Hollywood, so we looked at some of those.

Then we found our way into a cultural museum that described the history of Palm Springs and land battles.

There was also a General Store Museum.



Never actually a store, but just some dude's collection of old stuff, I mean antiques. Many of the items were unopened. I guess that's pretty cool. It was a 90 cents admission or something and some people were looking at everything for a long time.

Funny pano of the "museum."


There were some cool stuff but I guess I'm not old enough to get all nostalgic about the hundreds of thousands of items there. 


We can't afford to go to the film festival or buy anything so I guess that's why we walked around a bunch of museums. 


It was interesting though, to imagine what a hoppin' place it was back in the 50s with all the Hollywood hoopla. And because of the famed Hollywood hoopla we had to pay homage and go past Elvis's Honeymoon Hideaway. 


The Hideaway is just in the middle of a residential neighborhood. What if you were just a semi-normal millionaire, living next to one of Elvis's houses? Pretty cool I guess.

We had fun wandering around and checking things out. For a while we were the only ones on the street under the age of 70 but later in the day all the youngins started coming out.


When the sun started to go down it got a little chilly so we decided to head home. The next day I got to use one of the Christmas presents I got from my Uncle. 


Cute little snowman muffins! There was so much batter leftover that I ended up using some in a Christmas tin I have. 


It was a fun lazy Sunday apart from the fact that Kyle and Ross seem to be pretty sick, and Ross and I have the doom of work and school starting tomorrow.  





No comments:

Post a Comment