Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Just Bus Stuff

This morning (note: not a resolution for 2015) I tried to be grateful. I'm only a little embarrassed to say I'm not particularly good at being grateful these past couple (read: medical school) years. But this morning I was grateful, and not because a miracle blessing happened, but the opposite. 

I didn't get on the bus today. It was my planned mode of transportation to work but didn't happen. I wasn't late for the bus and I don't even know if the bus never came. 

I was on time to the bus stop, and I waited twenty minutes which, in case you are wondering feels like a small eternity when your hair is damp and you are heavy-jacket-less.  I waited as I slowly got hypothermia and debated when was an appropriate time to give up and start the goggle maps deemed 53 minute walk (soon to be 40 minute speed walk/ interval jog) to work. 

I didn't complain about the fact that I had three bags to carry (one of course being a classy plastic grocery bag). Why? Because one of those extra bags had my workout clothes and a pair of running shoes! I was grateful I had my comfy shoes with me so I wouldn't have to add time by going back to the apartment. 

I didn't complain about the walk. It was stressful and left my heart racing, but I was grateful I made it. I am grateful that I have a job to go to everyday. I am grateful I have two, albeit stumpy, legs that I can use to get me there. 

I was a sight to see- business casual with running shoes, hauling plastic bags, speed walking like a mad woman. But I was grateful I had nice clothes to work in. Walking through a semi-trashy part of town will give you that perspective. Also, I'm grateful my home doesn't have cheap astro-turf with dog turds all over it.

But seriously. 

The thing I found myself most grateful for, was perhaps the most peculiar of all... I was grateful I had a car. Because even though the lack of car was what got me in this situation in the first place, Ross gets to drive our car (paid for by the job I walk to, interestingly enough) to school.

It made me laugh to see everyone, toasty in their cars, scowl as they drove around. It made me think of how easy it is to get comfortable with what we have. A car that gets you there in 7 minutes? Or a walk that takes close to an hour? I have so much to be grateful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment