Saturday, January 31, 2015

Grandpa's Birthday

Ross and I found ourselves in Palmdale this weekend, which worked out well, because we were also having a party for my Grandpa who is turning 80! To me, my grandpa is still a young grandpa but 80 makes me realize that he definitely getting up there in age.

It was a fun and relaxed celebration and my grandma brought out a few memory books with pictures and stories from when my grandpa was younger. I have always been close with my grandparents. Growing up so close to them we would visit often. When I was living in California before moving to Grenada I often found myself at their home, just hanging out and talking.


My grandparents are incredible people. Everything they have been through and the family legacy they have built. Many of the pictures I had seen before, but never had I realized how much my mom resembles him. I think the middle picture above and this picture of my mom look so much alike.



My grandpa had a pretty interesting life growing up. He moved all around, including some of the most desolate places in Nevada, and the rough and tumble part of Ogden (keep in mind this was back in the 40s and 50s).


I love to hear his stories of going to the movies with his brother on the bus and watching cartoons and serials. It is fun to imagine what a different world it was back then. I also got to learn more about my grandpa's brother Lyle, who was killed in a car accident when he was only 25 years old. 

My grandpa got a little emotional thinking of family and everything that is dear to him. One of my favorite parts of the night was when he was talking about my grandma. 


Grandpa: If it wasn't for Colleen, I don't know if i'd be here.
Grandma: Damn right you wouldn't be!

And after awhile my grandpa said, "Who you're with makes all the difference."

I love that because whether you are in a relationship or not, the people you surround yourself with makes a huge difference in who you are and what you can become!

Looking through the albums I saw pictures of my grandparents' young family- pictures of my mom! So cute. 


I think of how tough it would've been to raise a family and go through all that they did, the challenges and struggles. I think of how strong they were to persevere and love each other diligently no matter how tough things got. I hope I can be at least a quarter of the person my grandpa is. His love and generosity, but mostly his humor and kindness. Growing up I was sometimes I pill. Grandpa would always be the one to take me aside when everyone was exhausted- and unconditionally love me and tell me to be better. I would always follow him around and help with his projects and he would help me with mine. Even now, I find myself interest in what he's up to and how I can help. 


It's hard to put into words how much I admire and love my grandpa! It was so much fun to celebrate his life and accomplishments. Not monetary or career-wise, and not even in the Church, but in family. I'll simply end with something my grandpa told us during his party.
"Everything is a blessing to me. It's a real blessing to have a family like we have. I'm just real grateful." 

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing these old pictures. I want to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete