Thursday, July 17, 2014

Glass Blowing: A How to Guide

It has been a long time since I wrote one of my super useful tutorials. So here I go again.

How to Blow Glass
1.) Convince your sister that this is a worthy cause and totally worth her time
2.) Buy Groupon
3.) Use Groupon

I know, I know, it's really almost the most simple thing in the world. Especially if you have a totally amazing sister like I do. Then there is not so much the need for convincing as there is for scheduling.

Way way back in a time before Kristen was in America for real, a lonely and excited for summer adventures girl saw an incredible deal on Groupon. The opportunity to form and mold an amazing glass flower out of just a lil blob of glass.



It was sadly too quick, but fun and challenging (if you have tiny little t-rex arms like me so you need the guy's help to actually do it).



We got to choose our colors for the petals and the stem. Then the masters gave us a little demo, then helped us with our own.



It was soo cool!

The worst part is that we had to leave them there so they could fire and set them. We got to wander around the studio for a little bit and the sculptures and works of art they produce are breathtaking.



They have done work for Mormon temples, business, and even homes! I have a new measure of wealth. True wealth is being able to have a huge three paneled stained glass masterpiece in your bedroom. Wow.

Here is Rissa's finished flower. I love the way it turned out.


Mine didn't turn out exactly how I pictured it. The stem was a little more poopy-green than I expected. But I picked the colors to match my bedspread/ shower curtain so I guess it will go perfect in the bathroom.



Also, Marissa and I are fairly sure that we need to go to school to learn how to do all of those things. I mean, how amazing would it be to be able to create those things just out of your hand and your brains (with extensive schooling, practice, and expensive materials).



No comments:

Post a Comment