Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Honeymoon 2: Third Anniversary

The third day of our Honeymoon 2/ Anniversary trip was our actual anniversary. We had originally planned to begin festivities on our honeymoon, but I kind of like the way that it turned out. We really enjoyed the condo in Eden. It was so spacious and absolutely beautiful.


The grounds were beautiful. It was so great being up in the crisp mountain air.

We packed up our stuff and headed down for a small hike. Unfortunately whatever bug I had continued to get worse. Ross and I love hikes and walks and I just couldn't do it. I felt terrible, like my head was going to explode. And I think being outside was just making it worse. I didn't want to ruin Ross's plans so I kept trekking along, but I guess Ross doesn't like seeing me die, so we gave up on the hike.


Ruling out outdoor activities, we found refuge in Rainbow Gardens. A large gift emporium. It includes other shops too, like this quilt store with some amazing work. Someday yet I might learn how to quilt. 


It was fun to wander around, but again, I felt purely awful, so we even had to give that up. 

The day was a bit of a blur but not the amazing part where we got to check into our stunning hotel for the night!


Over three years ago Ross was planning out possible honeymoon ideas. One of this frontrunners was staying at the Alaskan Inn up in Ogden canyon. Being young and unreasonable I thought this was a dumb idea. From the outside it looked a little campy and I thought the rooms would be tacky. Over the years as Ross continued to talk it up, I grew quite fond of the idea. And with some help from family we were able to stay a night in the Northern Lights suite. Ross and I were both really excited for this opportunity.


And I can honestly say that the room was breathtaking. I think part of the novelty now comes from the fact that we have been living on a Caribbean island for the past two years so the thought of Alaska and mountains really makes us happy.



Although I was absolutely elated about the room, I continued to feel like crap no matter how many runs to the store for cough drops, and cold medicine we took. My whole body was achy, but Ross had planned this evening for us for literally years and I would not let anything  get in my way.

Apparently Ross + plans + celebrations of wedding events is doomed because some road construction had a different idea.





















Ross planned on dinner at the fancy Timbermine Steakhouse. It was perfect because it is literally a five minute drive. With the somewhat long drives we have become accustomed too with our traversing across Utah, this was a welcome treat. Or I should say it WOULD HAVE BEEN.

Ross and I got in the car, and began the drive to the restaurant. about 3 minutes down the road, we saw that the canyon was closed for construction. No construction that we could see, but there was an officer that said absolutely no traffic. We could almost see the restaurant at that point.

Ross was furious and I was so sick I just wanted to cry. But I will give this to my wonderful husband, when he has an idea, damnit, he will make it happen.

This involved an hour plus drive, through the canyon to Eden, then through the pass, into North Ogden, then back down to the restaurant.



I wasn't sure that it would be worth it, with all the drama this journey involved. But I am happy to say I was wrong.

The food was absolutely amazing.

We ordered way too much food. Because that is what you do when you celebrate, even something so small as a 3 year anniversary.

As you can see, I brought along my best friend, a box of tissues.



It was a fun location and the whole restaurant is decked out like a prospecting/ gold mine/ mountaineer thing. They have a little river water feature and fake trees and animals. Like the Rainforest Cafe but Utah themed. It was nice to just sit down with my husband and enjoy all the adventures we have already had in our short marriage.

The next morning we packed up. I was dreading our return to "real life," which still is unreal, but means a lot of stress of moving. I don't think it helped that I was still feeling sick and delirious. But what did help was this amazing full and complete breakfast that was dropped off to our room. I was loving it!!


Before the craziness we took some time to walk around the grounds of the hotel. It sits right along a little stream. It is so beautiful and the mountains are nice and green. Most of the pictures we took you can see above.




No comments:

Post a Comment