Monday, October 1, 2012

How to: Accidentally Shop at the "Ghetto" Supermarket

One thing I have learned in my very limited "world traveling" (haha!) is that it is all about perspective! I mean that in many different ways, but in this post I am specifically talking about the way we are raised and our expectations when going to a new place. It changes our perspective.

Let me start with an example from home:
Lots of people I know back home refused to shop at the Latin supermarket Vallarta, because it was "ghetto."
(And besides that being so totally ridiculous because they have amazing pistachio ice cream, mangoes and cream popsicles, the cheapest and freshest produce around, an amazing restaurant, and the most delicious pan dulce and best treats, and incredible refried beans and the shortest check out lines and easiest parking lot....)

But I don't really believe in the word ghetto. I believe in, "out of my comfort zone, because it is new/unknown."

So, let's try that sentence again:

Lots of people I know back home refused to shop at the Latin supermarket Vallarta, because it was "out of my comfort zone, because it is new/unknown."

Yeah. That makes more sense. Whether you shop there or not, whatever (but you are missing out).

My point is, it is kinda like that here. You have the IGA Real Value supermarket. Which is right on the school bus route and all the students shop there. You have American things and I have found that in general things are a bit pricey.

But then you have..... Food Fair. Which many students and SOs claim is in a bad area and dirty and blah blah blah. So without further ado I present my first tutorial:
A visual to aide you in your quest!

How to Accidentally Shop at the "Ghetto" Supermarket (aka Food Fair):

1.)Go to campus and wait at the bus stop
2.)Get on a bus that has a paper in the back window that says "Gand Anse/ True Blue" with the intention of going to IGA.
3.)Ride the bus and ask some people near you where exactly the bus is headed, to which they reply, "I hope Grand Anse."
4.)Watch as the bus turns up the street to Mont Toute. 
5.) Panic for a sec, then remember that you got this!
6.) Get off when the bus stops in the Food Fair parking lot.
--> Shop at Food Fair and realize they have great prices! And a clean store despite the shady storage and quality of meat/fish!

Also, you get negative points if you tell a poor girl to get on the bus because it is headed to IGA, but if you tell her sorry you were just as confused and help her shop and make sure she gets on the bus back you can have bonus points.


4 comments:

  1. HAHA! This was one of our best adventures. I need to go to Food Fair, Sean is low on sugar drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true you can go into unknown areas where you may see something like a donkey painted with black and white stripes (and being called a zebra) and you may think, "This is a shady area."...but then inside the store you find something amazing, like a black velvet painting of Joseph Smith. WOW! Remember that trip? Dad still regrets not buying that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha positive points when you come back from the store with food AND money left =) everyone else is missing out!

    ReplyDelete