Friday, October 26, 2012

QW #4 (Quote Friday #1)

I know I am so cutesy with my "Quote Wednesdays"

If only they had some staying power.
Today it will be "Quote Friday #1"
Haha

QW #4

"If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try." -Seth Godin

In my life observations, human beings tend to keep the status quo and live within their comfort level. We might not take chances because the consequence, good or bad, is just unknown. 

I first thought of this when I read, "We always fear the unknown," in what was to become my favorite novel, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. 

About a month ago I decided to do something that scared me. 

I sent an e-mail to P.A.M. (Programme for Adolescent Mothers). You can check out their website: http://programmeforadolescentmothers.webs.com/mission.htm

The mission of the organization is:
"To empower teenage mothers and pregnant adolescents by providing counseling and continuing education through an integrated programme of traditional academic subjects, skills, training, health and family life education and parenting and family planning; thus providing a bridge over which they can cross into a promising future."

Having had done some work with adolescent mothers in El Salvador, I thought maybe PAM would have an opportunity for me to volunteer with them. 

Right away I got an e-mail saying they wanted to meet with me the following business day. 

I guess I have gotten really lame over the past 3 years or so because I remember a time and a place when I was doing stuff like this -non-profit interning, lesson planning, volunteering, and new territory navigating all in a different language. But now the thought of just finding and meeting the director of PAM was scary. 

On the day of the meeting I said a little prayer and left Ross a note with contact info in case I never returned (just kidding mom... ha...ha). 

With bus change and directions I departed on what I would find to be a three-bus, hour plus affair to PAM in Mt. Parnassus.
View coming up from the driveway, the other side has the most incredible view of downtown and the ocean. 
I was horribly late, but I was able to meet with the director and one of the instructors to figure out what they could do with me.  They decided that they would like me to help with the Clothing and Textiles class for the first year girls. 

Since the initial meeting I have been back twice to get to know the girls and begin teaching the basics of embroidery. The director has a project for the girls to embroider tablecloths for the restaurant they have (the girls learn how to cook and make meals for restaurant customers).

It is a pretty daunting task. I feel like I don't know what I am doing, but mostly I just really hope that what I am doing is worthwhile to the girls and what the directors and other instructors want.

I did something scary, I did something terrifying. And so far it is a good thing.

What is one of the scariest or most uncomfortable -but good situations you have pushed yourself to do?

2 comments:

  1. This is really awesome, Kristen! How did you find this? Is it through the same program that you worked with in El Salvador?

    Good for you for doing something that scares you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great, Kristen! I agree that it is important to step out and try new, scary things. Perhaps the most daunting, not ready, totally unprepared feeling I have ever had in my life, I have had six times. It was looking down into the beautiful face of a baby and realizing that I am supposed to be a dad. It is just as daunting each time. You never get used to that. And, what an amazing ride it has been. I am the luckiest dad in the world.
    posted by dad*

    *clearly it is too scary for me to get my own account in order to view and post on the blog.

    ReplyDelete