Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Package!

Already we are in the last week of October!
The month has absolutely flown by, the last time I posted was the 1st of October so I have some catching up to do! Ross required the use of our only computer for midterms and I fell behind in posts. So first things first!

-October 2nd ish-

We got a package from my brother and his wife! Thanks Ryan and Jen, you guys are awesome.

I am very impressed by their sleuthing skills. They traveled all over to different mail centers and post offices to figure out what would be the most economical way (for all parties involved) to send a package for us to receive here in Grenada.

Here is the break down!

-FedEx or DHL packages go straight to the school for pick up, but come with a hefty price tag for the sender... VERY HEFTY!
The school doesn't charge a processing fee and depending on how they feel the duties and tax they charge varies, as well as the amount of digging they do to find something worthwhile to charge you for.
Personal experience: Had a box shipped with snack foods on it and even though it had the classy "Opened by Customs" re-seal tape, we were not charged a single penny to pick it up. However, I know this is not always the case, even at the school.

So although it is the most convenient way for us to pick stuff up -by far and not in the least economical as far as cost for the sender.

Ryan and Jen found out that the most economical way to ship stuff is in tiny packages around or under 4 pounds, using USPS. They found that rates exponentially rise when shipping packages above 4 pounds.
From they time they shipped the package it took about 10 days for Ross to receive a blue slip in his P.O. Box at the school notifying him there was a package for him at the Post Office downtown.













So my wonderful friend Patty gave me a lift to the Post Office and let me hold her adorable daughter so the people would be nice to me. I have found that Grenadians LOVE babies if you have a baby in your arms they are so nice to you.

I picked up the little package and opened it up so they could asses the "goods." I paid $5 something EC which adds up to about $2 USD! Not bad at all.

It was a really fun little package! It was filled with inside jokes that I can't begin to explain, which just added to the fun. :) I really miss Ryan and Jen, especially the days of them taking me to get groceries at Smiths and just being ridiculous.













They sent chocolate milk powder! But only one glass for now because the Petersen household is doing milk rations. The refrigerated food container shipment was delayed and there won't be more milk at the local grocery store for a few more days.













A little handheld fan and toilet seat covers. I am the envy of the island! :) And don't worry- there are batteries too! Yessss.
Also, they sent us Ross an awesome BYU lapel pin which he religiously (pun intended?) wears on his backpack to represent our alma mater.

But I must say, the dino fruit snacks were the best! Obviously I scarfed them down so fast I couldn't even do so much as take a picture of the wrapper.
Thanks again so much Ryan and Jen, and thanks for your super sleuthing affordable shipping options!

No comments:

Post a Comment