Wednesday, October 31, 2012

QW #5 Grandma B.

Quote Wednesday #5

I don't have a cute little .jpeg for this quote:

"Keep your big fat mouth shut."

Because this cannot be found floating around Pinterest. 
But it can be found in my wedding sign-in book. 
I give full credit to Grandma B. for that quote. That day she was so sick, but I remember her looking at Ross and pointing her finger at him.  I remember her telling me to go ahead and write it and she signed her name by it. It was her marriage advice for me and Ross.

I love this quote because it shows grandma's stubbornness and dedication to what she knows it true and important -marriage and family

Grandma is a firecracker. As she and my mother-in-law say, "dynamite comes in small packages!" I think of what an amazing pair her and Grandpa are, what a wonderful marriage they have and will have forever. I think of how she raised 9 children as the wife of a potato farmer. You better believe she had some pizzaz! 

And I for one am willing to take any and all marriage advice she has to offer in hopes that I can be even a fraction as successful as her. 


















A year ago today Ross and I attended her funeral. It was one of those days that is so sad and humbling you won't forget it. I remember snow falling at the graveside service. I remember how the direct family members alone filled up a whole chapel there were so many. I remember looking at Grandpa B that day and seeing the sadness in his eyes. I remember feeling comfort that things would be okay.

It's hard for me to begin to explain how much I love Grandma B. I first met her in 2010 when Ross, his brother Kris, and I took a trip up to Idaho Falls for Easter weekend. Reflecting on it now, I only knew her on this earth for about a year and a half. But there is something about her spirit that immediately touches you and feels like a warm accepting hug, and you feel right at home. 

I remember the look she got when she was being sneaky. I was not yet a member of the family, but early Easter morning I awoke to see the Easter Bunny had visited and left a little treat basket not only for Ross, but for me as well. I felt so loved.

I remember every time I visited the farm I never felt like a stranger. I never felt out of place, I was always welcome. 

I remember watching the Lawrence Welk show with Grandma and listening to her sing "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" and every other song. But also remember watching football with Grandma and she had the same amount of enthusiasm when cheering on BYU.

I remember calling Grandma and Grandpa B with Ross to tell them we were engaged. I remember being so excited to have them as family. 

I remember how hard Grandma fought all the cancers and illness. And I remember her doing it in her leopard print fleece pjs. 

All these things and more I remember about Grandma B.


















Her and Grandpa are amazing people and sometimes it is overwhelming to know we must stand on the shoulders of such legends. But they both inspire me to be better. 
To be kind, to work hard, to be smart, to be thrifty, to love the Lord, to serve others, to speak out, to be stubborn, and to love unconditionally. I miss you Grandma B. and I am so happy to be able to spend the rest of eternity with you and and all the Butikofers. 

*All pictures stolen shamelessly from Uncle Kelly's Facebook. :)

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, best quote blog post yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigette! You can use it for your marriage too, I am sure Grandma B would let you! :)

      Delete