Tuesday, March 4, 2014

King Cake: Happy Mardi Gras

Tradition, as with many people, has played a huge role in my childhood. My diversity lacking blood line has never stopped my parents from celebrating any holiday we wanted. I remember playing dredel in December, and building leprechaun traps in March. Remember? I'm Scottish so I can party whenever!

Last year I blogged about how I have always wanted to make King Cake for the Mardi Gras season. The lack of nakey babies did not stop me this year. I checked out a few super ugly recipes but settled on a smaller, more individual versions. 

Having never tried the infamous King Cake myself, I didn't know what to expect and had low expectations. But I gave it a go anyways.


The recipe I used involved rolling out the dough and spreading filling in the center. I used different combinations of cream cheese, cinnamon & sugar, and jams. 


I was so excited I didn't spend too time photographing each little step.

I've mentioned that I am a bit horrendous at decorating baked goods. My theory is I pour my heart and soul into the baking and I have no energy left to be cute. This project was perfect, dump colored sugar on the buns. Now that is something I can do. 


The cakes turned out even more amazing that I ever would have expected. I was pretty shocked. They reminded me a lot of my favorite pan dulce, so I was a pretty happy girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment