Friday, March 28, 2014

The END: Family Visit Day 6

When I woke up on Friday ... actually lets back up a bit. 

Thursday night when Ross  and I were driving back to our apartment, we were chatting about how quickly the week had gone. It seemed just like yesterday when my mom was saying, "It's only Monday! We have lots of time." But here we were, late Thursday on the cusp of "One day left."

When I woke up in Friday I was already a little sad that this was our last day with them. I don't mean to sound like they were dying, but lets face it, when I return to the USA in just 7 weeks we won't have the option of hanging out on a beautiful beach, leisurely searching for sea glass, or climbing around a waterfall.

I got over to their hotel as soon as I could (again, I'm making it sound like they were dying yeesh). We decided to do what we do best... bum it at the beach and fit in some more snorkeling. Throughout the week my parents kept commenting on how awesome it was that we were so close to the beach. Livin' out in Palmdale I'm sure my parents are used to the the standard "round up the troops!" mentality. That is, prepare for an hour plus trip to get to the beach + pack the boogie boards + make sure everyone (6 kids) have towels + does everyone have water? + did someone pack the sandwiches?!. You get the picture.



I'm sure it's nice to just be able to grab a towel and book and get in the car for a 10 minute drive. We decided to go to (the pictured above) Magazine Beach, which they hadn't been to. I terrified my parents when I off-handedly mentioned I wasn't 100% sure how to get to the beach and that it would be an adventure to get there. It involved some pretty bumpy patches and of course, the trademark "driveway" down the hill to get there. If you need a refresher, said driveway is two little crumbly tire track streaks. Pretty sure my parents had no faith in me, but that is just because they don't understand, it isn't up to us. Right Ali?

When we got down safe and sound we found a beach all to ourselves. We had a couple beach vendors come up to us (again with the spice necklaces in my nose folks!). One of them was talking about how there was a cruise ship in so in about 15 minutes the beach would be covered in tourists.

Call that guy Ms. Cleo cos my dreams came true in no time flat. As the tourists were pouring out of buses, DSLRs in hand, my parents turned to me, "Ummm... how did those big buses get down here?"

Yep. Those same fancy tire streaks. Haha. We all had a good laugh at that.

After sometime we decided all the wind was making the waves choppy so we packed up and headed over to Groom's. We enjoyed some snorkeling and relaxing, that is what vacation is for right? Afterwards Dad and I went to pick up some lobster I had ordered from a local fisherman.


Daddy the Science Guy struck again. I love this guy!



We waited for our lobster guy at the docks on campus. Not a bad view.



Not a bad view, but after three hours or more of waiting and back and forth, I was pretty irritated by his run around. Long story short, we left empty handed. I've made multiple valiant efforts to get my hands on fresh lobster and the only lesson I have learned is that lobster guys are LIARS. Such an incredibly frustrating experience.

But no worries. I dropped by work because my co-worker said her mom would make us some Oil Down (Grenada's Nation Dish). I was expecting just a small amount to sample and share but whoa! I'm so blessed to have amazing friends that really go above and beyond for me. She gave us a huge dish I could barely carry it was really that heavy. Another one of my colleagues made me and my crew a container full of gulab jamun. Which is an amazing and sweet dumpling type dessert.

For dinner we hung out at the hotel and had a West Indian feast!



Complete with Ting of course! I think my family was a little apprehensive about trying Oil Down, since quite often it has iguana and various animal parts, but this Oil Down was really incredible. Thanks Karla & mom!

During the week we had also picked up some pholourie mix. I think this is originally from Trinnidad so it fit right in.


It was really delicious too. We got these sauces to have with them. They are bottled right here in Grenada. The West Indian Hot Sauce is an absolute staple in my office at work. I work with women who have no sense of spiciness. This is a perfect example. The Nutmeg Banana Ketchup was also good, subtle like ketchup but a nice surprising flavor. 


As we cooked and hung out we made sure to catch their last sunset. :( It was sad but we were too busy yelling at the camera flash to go off, and shoving our face with food.


This estrellita!

Like I mentioned, the flash on all 3 cameras was not behaving. As a result, this one looks totally fake. Like the ones you get on Hollywood Blvd or Universal Studios.



My wonderful parents. Please don't go!



It was a pretty perfect night. After dinner and the sunset we looked at our photos from the past week, played with sea glass, and thought of everything we couldn't quite fit in during the trip. Despite that, it has been a fantastic week. I am so humbled by the sacrifices my family makes for me. The time, energy, and money commitments are huge to plan a trip like this. And if I know one thing in life, it is that I am one lucky girl!

Love you guys and miss you already.

No comments:

Post a Comment