Monday, March 17, 2014

Music Monday #4: Happy St. Paddy's

This week my ever-fancy Music Monday falls on St. Patrick's Day!
So, this selection just makes sense. 

Flogging Molly!

Is a pretty great band. I mean, they are from LA, and the lead singer is Irish. And they started with SideOneDummy Records, almost inevitable that I would like them. Anyone that knows me knows I love my fast, loud, headache-inducing music. If it's mosh-able, I'm there. 

Music is one of those things for me that is always closely associated with memories. With Flogging Molly, it's the memory of being poor and car-less, riding trax to SLC, eating epic Chinnese food before the show, getting sweaty bodies wiped on my face, slurpees after, and eventually crashing on Scott's floor.

I'm there.


























Not to be epically cliche, but it is hard to choose a favorite Flogging Molly song. If you have NEVER heard of them, listen to Drunken Lullabies. Unarguably their most famous song.

In contrast, I really enjoy "If I Ever Leave This World Alive." It is a bit calmer, not as head-smashing. So if you can't stand "Drunken Lullabies," try out this lullaby that has a lovely melody. 



My favorite lyrics of the song are:
If I ever leave this world alive, I'll take on all the sadness that I left behind.
If I ever leave this world alive, the madness you feel will soon subside.
So in a word, don't shed a tear. I will be here when it all gets weird.
If I ever leave this world behind. 
Flogging Molly's music is pretty loud and fast, but listen close and you can find great lyrics too. 

I also like Salty Dog (Irish Pub Song - take from that what you will). When you are having a bad time, cue up The Worst Day Since Yesterday and shove your face in a tub of ice cream. And on the off chance you need to mosh around your bedroom, What's Left of the Flag will be there to help you without breaking too much furniture. 

But if you'd like to break a little more furniture, check out the Dropkick Murphy's. 

And if you would like something tamer, but still Celtic check out The Young Dubliners (I'll brag about seeing them live too). 

But whoever you are listening to this holiday, have a 

Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment