Monday, April 28, 2014

Music Monday #7: Just Two Kids

It's time I start getting serious about this whole music Monday thing. 6 posts in and there has only been one ska song?! Which was a cover of a Disney song? Who am I? 


If you ask me what my favorite type of music is, I will undoubtedly answer Ska

Big D and the Kids Table is one of my all-time favorite bands, and a fantastic ska band. I think the first time I heard of them was in high school. For some reason my photography class was split up and put into another class that was loud and rowdy (I mean, it's high school). We were supposed to be watching a movie or something, but for lack of seating I was sitting under the table with this kid who told me to listen to some ska music on his ipod. I am not 100% certain, but I think some of those songs were Big D at the time. But it wouldn't be until a couple years later that I really grew to know the band.


Oh, and just to mention, THE WORLD'S BEST BOYFRIEND award goes to this guy ^ who scored me a t-shirt signed by every. single. member of the band. In a ska band that is nothing short of a miracle. Thanks stud. 

Enough waxing poetic. My favorite album from the group is hands down: Strictly Rude.



But one of my favorite songs, "Describing the Sky,"  is from their album Fluent in Stroll.


Yesterday I realized Ross and I are officially IN THE TEENS.


This takes the Double Digits Club to a whole other level! So in part I pick this song in anticipation of soon turning a new page and starting a new chapter in my (our) life. 

The song opens with, 
Two kids excited when they hit the pavement
It reminds me of starting something new. Say, moving to Grenada. The world is a big scary place. How do we ever manage to get by? 
We'll have to step back, be steady, and check out the new sceneryDeduct what we are seeing and trust each others opinion
Yep! What beautiful scenery we have here in Grenada. Take it in, figure it out, forge our own path. And learn trust each other because if there is something to be learned on this med school journey, it's trusting this is the right path. 
Gotta push back the people who try and sour realityThere's so many bitter, we'll have to be believers
This for me could only describe about half a million people and things on this island. Getting underpaid, having SGU pwn you at every turn, having friends turn on you, rude emoyees who smash you with doors; the point is life can bring you down but you just have to be believers. 

So 
Stand tall We both look them in the eyeWe're trying not to laugh just yetI think we'll both do fine
How lucky I am to have a permanent best friend. And although he's rarely around, there are perfect moments in this imperfect life that  feel just like this:
Now we're laying after a perfect dayas we fade away, what a world we'll make
Moments where in the ugliness and complexity of this world, I remember this about my bestie
Well I'm forever your fighting partner 
Yah, I can hold you above them for days 
You see, my arms are strong and I'm focused 
We're in store for better days
Better days, worse days, different days. Just the promise of a change of scenery. Some days America feels like this: 
Oh no, I don't need to seeJust tell me what it looks like above the cloudsDescribe the sky to me, just describe the sky to 
I'm kind of a sucker for songs with, what's the word? Progression? Like when the chorus changes from conjecture to present to past tense etc. 
We both stand tallWe always look them in the eyeWe're always laughing out too loudUs two are doing quite fineTwo kids shaping their livesYes we will surviveYes we will survive
It's a great end to this fun, happy song. It reminds me that things will be okay, and they ARE okay. Don't mind me. This is my corner of the universe. So I'll stand tall. I'll laugh too loud. I'll just continue shaping my life. Continue on this sometimes insane journey, just insanely lucky that I have Ross as my best friend and husband. 


No comments:

Post a Comment