Sunday, April 6, 2014

DIY: Ombre Hair Color

Ombre is all the rage. It's a bit old now, but still trendy. And D.I.Y. is all the rage too. So today I bring you:

#nofilter
Sometimes in lame Get to Know You or Speed Dating games, you ask someone


"What do you consider is your best feature?"

It's a bit of a silly question, but it gives us all a break from the "omg-i-am-so-ugy" shtick. Wanna know my answer? Thought so.

My hair.

I hate that I don't have much, and I hate my ever-receding hairline, but one of my favorite things about me is my hair. I get asked if I dye it. I don't. Once a hair dresser very sternly looked me in my eyes and said "NEVER color your hair. Women pay a lot of money to get it to look like yours."

And although that was a little bit intense and scary, I took the compliment. The sun was made for my hair, or, my hair was made for the sun. My hair's years in the cold dark days in Utah were the saddest days of it's life.

But when my hair gets in the sunshine, it lightens and highlights, and beams. And I really love that it does that. I know before long it will darken and lose it's natural highlight but for now I will enjoy it.

My first year in Grenada I spent a lot of time outside. Walking, exploring, bumming it.
My second year in Grenada I spent more time inside. Working, sleeping, being grumpy. As a consequence my hair has grown in much darker, resulting in a (when intentionally looking) clearly visible line of "roots."

Instead of being bummed about this, I realized I had accidentally D.I.M'd (Did It Myself) Ombre hair! So I parted it down the middle.



As you can tell from that laugh-smile on my face, I thought this was pretty funny. I am so trendy. Maybe I should permanently part my hair in the center so people can see how trendy I am.

SPOILER ALERT: Yeah, this isn't actually a tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment