Saturday, April 5, 2014

Crock of CRAP!

In some ways, I am an all or nothing kinda girl.

Like I will either spend 2 hours cooking dinner, or 3 minutes.


vintage-crock-pot-ad-dec-1972

In my mind, a slow cooker is a magical food machine, not a kitchen tool. People really rave about slow cookers, but I have this really weird mentality I just can't seem to get over. It's the mentality that indeed they are magical food machines.

This means that I dump a bunch of stuff in said Magical Food Machine, come back in 4 hours and the food (also magical) comes out amazing. Part of the magic is that the prep time needs to be less than 10 minutes. And I chop onions pretty slow. 


There are some recipes like that, of course. Dump this in, dump that in, dump that in too, then in 4 hours, here comes the magic.

See, to me that is a Crock-pot recipe.

But this recipe required like.... a bowl, a whisk, measuring cups AND spoons, a plate, a fork and knife, a saucepan.... like what? I was supposed to cook the meat, take it out, shred it, make a slurry, strain the ingredients in a saucepan *YAWN* What a crock of crap! That is just an incredible amount of work for me. I can't handle that people. So I did what I do best and half-assed it. This is a Crock-pot people, Half-Ass should be its first name.


I ended up substituting some ingredients, and halving the whole thing. You can find the original recipe for Honey Garlic Chicken here.

You mix ingredients and I massaged it into the chicken and between the skin. You cook it, and shred it. 



Then dump it back in. Please be impressed with the lighting and general photogenic nature of food stewing in a slow cooker.



I ended up throwing the cornstarch into the slow cooker instead, it wasn't as thick that way but it still tasted delicious.

The lesson of this story: Half-assing it ain't half bad. I don't know that this pearl of wisdom is a good one to pass down to the future generation, but that chicken was pretty tasty. I used it on a salad, but I imagine it would be a very versatile and flavorful recipe to use for many dishes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment