Saturday, April 12, 2014

Grenada Arts Council: 50th Annual Art Exhibition

Ross rarely gets time off, so when he does we really try to make the most of it.

I've been bugging him to go downtown because the Grenada Arts Council has their 50th Annual Art Exhibit going on.



I went last year with a friend who entered some of her work and was absolutely blown away by all the pieces. All the artwork is by locals (residents).

Here is a video of this year's exhibit.


The hardest part about getting Ross to the exhibit is that it always closes before 4pm on the weekdays and doesn't open til 10am on Saturday. C'mon people I need a gallery graveyard shift!

This morning we decided a gallery stroll would be a worthy outing and patiently waited til closer to 10am. We headed straight for the gallery only to find it was closed. Perplexed, we checked the hours and the current time. It was just a little after 11am. As posted in the window, we went to inquire at Art Fabrik (another amazing store). She made a couple calls and before long a cute little lady with lovely curly silver hair and a fantastic smile took us over to the gallery and unlocked the door. I guess whomever was supposed to be there this morning never showed up.

Pretty much we got a private opening of the gallery. We strolled around and checked out the amazing artwork. I took some photos off the Grenada Arts Council Facebook page because I was too shy to take some myself.

[Via]
I really loved these pieces! So much color. It really reminded me of my brother Kyle and my sister Rissa.
The gallery is small but brilliant. It's no Getty but in some ways I like it better because it isn't as overwhelming. You don't need a map to navigate the halls and walls, but the pieces are still breathtaking and filled with meaning.

[Via]
This was maybe my favorite piece of the day. The one on the left with the boat on the water at sunset. The sunsets here are one of my all-time favorite parts of Grenada. I never seem to capture the hues with a photo lens, but these artists sure can capture it with a brush.

I always find myself especially drawn to the pieces that really capture (what I perceive to be) the essence of Grenada. The palms. The sea. The fishing boats. The waterfalls. The jungle. I got a little emotional today thinking of how weird it will be to leave all those beautiful things behind in about a month.

Eventually Ross and I decided on a piece of artwork to make ours. I was beyond excited. When I visited last year's Art Exhibit I had a feeling that taking home a piece of art might be the perfect souvenir. Over 365 days of thinking that over, I was set on it. Better than spice necklaces, or salt & pepper shakers, or flip flop key chains, I thought a painting could more accurately capture this beautiful place we have lived the past two years. I was beaming when the woman put that little red dot on our painting and wrote the receipt. I guess you guys will just have to wait to see the purchase.

Ross outside the gallery. Happy that he doesn't have to do souvenir shopping, or scared that he let us spend so much money.


We took care of some errands and did some wandering downtown. Like I mentioned, it feels very surreal to think that in 35 days, this won't be my life anymore. No wandering on the hot crowded streets. 

Here in Grenada Spring Season is Kite Season. With that lovely breeze comes the opportunity to go fly a kite. You can see kite vendors along the roadside. Little, big, bright and colorful kites. All homemade. 


After going to the Pearls Airport Kite Festival last year, I think Ross and I both wanted to give it a go this year. We passed several kite vendors before deciding where to shop. We are now the proud owners of a smallish kite with cute polka dots. Oddly enough I didn't get a picture of our vendor nor our kite but I will take care of that tomorrow. 

Before long we headed back to the bus terminal home bound. I snapped a picture of the steel drum school. I've passed it dozens of times, but I never really thought to take a picture of it. 35 days until I never have the chance to pass this school and be serenaded by the lovely steel band music. 


35 days until I never get to rummage through my purse for my bus fare. 

The Lance aux Epines weekend buses aren't very regular so we just walked home from the round about. Just walking home with our groceries and kite. Goaty grazing on the side of the road. 


It was a really strange morning being haunted by this departing feeling. It's hitting me more than ever and these moments that I get to spend time with my best friend in a beautiful country, I really feel it.

So here is to 35 days, whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment