Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Birthday Pip!

This friendship story starts a long time ago in my freshman year of college when I was preparing to move to off-campus housing. All by myself. Harden and cold, all alone. The complex I was moving to was three (or more?) gigantic buildings. For logistical reasons I asked to be put in the first building, and received my apartment number to which I would be moving in the next few months.

As the months went by I called again to find out what my apartment number was, only to find I was put on the opposite side of the complex.

Little did I know, it was of the best decisions that would have ever been made for me.

Because when I moved into that cave apartment of 5 random strangers, I met the beautiful Pip.

Nope, that isn't her true name, but it is her real name to me.

At our first meeting I never would have guessed we would be as good of friends as we are now.

We've been through a lot together. Being roommates in college will do that to you. Heart breaks, final papers, holidays, moving, drama, missing leftovers, dating, car trouble, hospital visits, sickness, midnight store runs, Halloween dances, engagements, you get the picture.



When you go through that much with a person you either end up hating them, or having to keep them because they know too much. Good thing I like her!


As friends you end up doing weird stuff, like making Daniel and the Lions Den cake.



Or do weird white people things like go hot tubing in the snow, or decided midnight and pajamas is the perfect time to get soft serve.



Best friends like Pip also support you on your triple date endeavors.


I often find myself missing my old roommate. I miss writing a thousand Love Notes. I miss our late night drives and afternoon talks. I miss spending entirely too long at the MOA cafe. I miss borrowing clothes, and watching Criminal Minds when we should be studying. Mostly I miss seeing her beautiful face everyday. You really form a unique bond with a roommate best friend.

I am so happy that we are still best friends far across the distance and spaces between us. She has definitely shown me how to go on. Near, far, where ever we are I believe that we will be friends forever.

So here is to my brilliant, beautiful, witty, understanding, inspirational best friend. I love you so much Pip! 


Let's do this next quarter century thing (you go first though).


No comments:

Post a Comment