Monday, February 17, 2014

Music Monday #2 Kina Grannis

I don't watch American Idol. Haha, I know right? I don't watch much TV in general. I had a brief stint with The Voice, like I watched it two weeks in a row.

What I am getting at is, I do not know who Phillip Phillips is. But I stumbled across his song "Home" whilst on Pandora sometime last year. My bestie Teo introduced me to this incredible musician Kina Grannis. It was love a first listen. I'm no pro at things like this, but I know that her voice makes me melt. And makes me feel a little angry that I can't sing like that.

Kina writes and sings her own stuff, she tags along with some musicians, and she does a bunch of covers. It is really hard to choose a favorite, so I just chose two.

Home - Philip Philips (Cover by Kina Grannis)


The Scientist - Coldplay (Cover by Kina Grannis, Tyler Ward, Lindsey Stirling) 


I just love the way all the musicians fit together, like pieces of a puzzle, to present such a enchanting cover of this amazing song by Coldplay.

I love musicians that are versatile. I think it's hard to find popular, real talent. Anyone can sing if you fix it up post-production and make them sound perfect. But live performances, and working with different kinds of artists really showcases true talent.

My last and maybe favorite (but let's be honest I could never choose a favorite) is a song she worked on for Fuse with Hoodie Allen. I know you'll never guess it, but Teo also told me about this song.

Make it Home - Hoodie Allen & Kina Grannis 


Lately it has been stuck in my head non-stop, but I'm not complaining. I find myself singing random bits of it around the house. You can check out the live version if you want, because why wouldn't you want to stare at those two for 4 minutes?... or more if you happen to put it on repeat. 

"I wanna go where the lights are low and the dreamers are chasin'.
I wanna live like we don't know much but we know we're gonna make it." 


No comments:

Post a Comment