Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Remembering Grandma W

This past weekend my sweet Grandma Widdison passed away.

I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time at her house in my younger years before she moved to Utah. I remember her tiny little home in The Valley. I remember turning the street corner and getting antsy to run into her arms. I remember the end table filled with puzzles. And I am just realizing that maybe this is why I am so crazy for puzzles to this day. I remember the cookie jar that mooed when you took off the lid. I also remember that cookie jar being a little lamb with a straw hat. I remember running in between my grandma's lines for laundry when playing in the back yard. I remember my grandma loved to sing.
My grandma sewed a lot, and she was great at it. Christmas meant homemade jammies.

This is a picture of my brothers and sisters at my grandma's house in our new Christmas jammies Grandma made. My nightgown is a Precious Moments flannel pattern. Pretty sure that little tree is set up on the puzzle-filled end table.

















Grandma also made us girls beautiful dresses. Ali and I always matched. I specifically remember loving this dress because it reminded me of a Ragedy Ann doll, which I thought was pretty neat.






















Grandma was also really good at cross-stitch, like incredible at it. As I developed my own love and respect for handicrafts, I remember going over to her house in college and staring at the thousands of tiny, perfect stitches in her work.

Living so close to her in college I got to see her again, as she had moved from California to Utah quite a few years prior. I remember sometimes going to church with her and she was so proud to show off her grandchildren. I remember every birthday I was sure to get a cute kitty or puppy card with her perfectly formed cursive handwriting inside. Grandma loved little cute baby animals.

When I got married Grandma made me a beautiful quilt in my wedding colors. I had it on display at my reception. And after I had it on my bed every day until I couldn't bear the thought of it wearing, tearing, and fading.  I wish I had a closer up picture to show the detail, but I don't have one with me.


At a full life and 92 years old, I know that she is happy now. I know she missed her husband and parents and friends, and even though I have a hole in my heart, I can fill it with the peace and comfort. Peace and comfort that this is just the next step in eternity, I can be with her again.

My dad, and his mom, my Grandma W.


No comments:

Post a Comment