Friday, December 14, 2012

PAM Wrap Up

Well, my volunteering at PAM was cut a little short this week when the secretary e-mailed me and said that since this is the last week of school, it is a week of half-days, so there was no need for me to come teach.

But I did get a couple more pictures the last time I was up there. The girls were finishing up most of their projects, using the sewing machines to make little zipper pouches out of their "chicken scratch" work. I must say it is pretty funny to see teenage girls sew. They want the cute zipper bag without all the work. Renica, the assistant clothing and textiles teach, gets pretty sassy and frustrated with them. This also involves a lot of the girls breaking the serger and sewing machine and Renica sassing at them and fixing it. The serger is always where it gets intense, as the girls usually work together, one holding the fabric and controlling the foot pedal, and the other helping to guide the fabric straight.

Pretty much I did a lot of sitting around, with some answering questions and helping with supplies such. But overall the girls have really taken a liking to embroidery and just like to do their own thing. It is great to see them get so creative.
I thought this one was pretty clever, Princess, the girl who is doing this one is pretty lazy, so this is a big thing for her!

I was really happy to see that the embroidery seed of desire spread to the other students!! The second year girls are really getting into it. Seeing all of the cool supplies and beautiful work the other girls have produced has really got them interested.

One of the second year girls made this fun little pac man purse, which is a combination of "chicken scratch" and cross stitch.













After searching every craft and fabric store downtown I learned that Aida cloth used for cross-stitch is recognized, but not sold anywhere here. At one point this lady looked at me, rolled her eyes, and sassed, "Good luck."
Thanks.

And in case you were wondering, none of the girls ever want to be in the picture with their work. Haha. I don't know if I will be returning to PAM next term, the clothing and textiles permanent teacher will be back, so there won't be much of a need/ time for me to teach a class. But I am looking for other volunteer options to keep busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment