Thursday, December 6, 2012

PAM Update

I continue my volunteering at the Programme for Adolescent Mothers up in Mt. Parnassus. Since we got supplies things have really gotten rolling. Here the girls are working on their first project, making a panel for a pillow.














Most of the girls really enjoy it and they take the supplies home and work on it there. The girls came up with their own designs and I told them to try to do a variety of stitches on their designs. I think all of the girls put their child's name on the pillow and/or their name and their boyfriend's name.














That was all before I left for Thanksgiving. I gave them a project to work on in the two weeks I was gone. It is a type of embroidery/ cross-stitch called "chicken scratch." I learned this one from my mom, who learned it from her grandma. My mom used it to make a beautiful tablecloth for me as a wedding gift. Here is a picture of the center of the tablecloth. It also has chicken scratch on the corners as well as a eyelet ruffle, very fancy!













When I returned to PAM I didn't teach anything. I walked into the classroom and all the girls were already sewing and stitching! I felt pretty useless but it was awesome because it was such a change from when I first came to PAM. At first the girls would sit around and do nothing and stare at me when I taught. But now they are working on projects in between classes and getting right to work when they get to class! It is fun to see them so excited and proud of their work. They are turning their chicken scratch work into purses. Kyadisha was the first to finish hers, she was helping the other girls with putting the zipper in the purse.













I only have three more times going up to PAM before I am done and they are off for break. I am trying to think of what else I could teach them in that short time. I know some of them are pretty checked out, mentioning every ten minutes that "school is already over." Haha. I've been there before.

No comments:

Post a Comment