Saturday, September 1, 2012

Island Time!

The other day it took me over five minutes to figure out what the date was.

I don't have a calendar hanging up
I don't have a daily planner
I don't have post-it notes everywhere telling me what's due
I don't have grocery fliers strewn about with sale dates
I don't have coupons that will expire
I don't have iCal handy on my computer (don't HAVE a computer!)
I don't have a pocket calendar in my purse
I have no deadlines, no count-downs or ups
I have no boss telling me where to be or what to do
I have no timesheet to turn in or check to pick up

Anyone who knows me would say with full faith and confidence that I am a stressed out, crazy, tightly-wound person. I am always on time. I always know where I am going and where I need to be. I meet deadlines and follow through with ruthless efficiency.

Except, when you don't have anywhere to be or deadlines to meet... there is no need for stress! That whole attitude just doesn't work down here on a tiny island in the Caribbean.
It didn't take long for that attitude and way of life to vanish. I am learning to let go. I'm learning that most the time, especially here, nothing can be done about it. Buses are late, or you miss the bus, you are given the wrong orientation packet, there are communication problems, or you are given useful information after its too late.
Lots of things go wrong and I feel the whole use and meaning of the word "efficient" was lost somewhere in the ocean between here and the U.S. Haha. But as I see myself thinking of this, the more I see myself not caring and just shrugging it off.

I will be living here for about two years. I have the rest of my life to fill with deadlines, stress, stomach ulcers, job hunting and money stressing. I'm taking a two year break. Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment