Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Sunday! :)

I have come to the conclusion that my Heavenly Father rounded up the absolutely best people in all of Heaven and split them up:
1/2ish of them he has already placed in my life in some way or another
and 1/2ish of the rest he placed here in Grenada!
and the "ish"es account for the rest of the best people I will meet in the many years of life I have left to live!

I am not usually super public about the way I feel about the religion I live,
but I just wanted to take a moment to describe the awesome branch I attend now.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! I'm mormon!

This is taken from the porch of the church building.














While living here in Grenada I attend meetings in Saint George's. We have a small but permanent building right on the beach!

BAM! Ocean, right there!

And it is filled with the most wonderful, happy, enthusiastic, helpful, smiling people you will ever meet! My first few days here were difficult and confusing but that first Sunday when I went to church I felt so much joy and peace. :) Smiling strangers quickly became friends and I was lifted up emotionally and spiritually as I was encircled by the good feelings and positive attitudes that everyone had.

I love church down here because it helps us remember the most important things about religion. We don't have a fancy chapel. We don't have soft cushy pews. We don't have stained glass windows. We don't have fancy sacrament trays. And most rooms don't even have Air Conditioning!

But we have the Gospel, and we have our testimonies. We know in our heart, and with all our heart that our Savior died on the Cross for us that we all might live again someday. And we have one another as friends and even as a small family down here, to help each other out, learn from, and become friends!

In the LDS church geographic areas are divided into Stakes and within the stakes there are wards and branches (these are just smaller wards). But little did I know that there are also "groups" that are even smaller than branches (maybe they should be called twigs). I guess that there is a group in Grenville, up north on the east coast, and a group in Gouyave, up north on the west coast. I guess there are only about 6 ish people in each group! Some of the church members from down here in Saint George's go to those branches to give talks or help pass the sacrament. We kind of all share each other!

Today the branch president asked that if we can, please help contribute to the transportation fund, so people could have money to ride the buses to church. Imagine having so little money that you could barely afford to $2ish round trip bus ride to church!
Every Sunday our super awesome friends Kim and Shane give us a ride to church, we are really blessed that we can get there so quickly and efficiently. When we were waiting for them this morning I saw this nasty thing lying in the middle of the road ...
Uh... gross. That is definitely what you think it is. 
But we had a great day at church and we feel so blessed to have friends who, after two weeks of knowing us, would do anything for us! 
Aww, The Petersens!
Happy Sunday everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself. The branch is one of my favorite things about Grenada. Great post!

    I'm excited to get to know you guys better and look forward to our adventures together here :)

    ReplyDelete