Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Palmdale

This summer I have spent quite a bit of time in Palmdale. Maybe I needed some time away from it, but it is one of my favorite places, for so many reasons. Here is a picture dump from the past summer months.

Beautiful sunset on a (rare) rainy day.



Every time I'm in Palmdale my parents treat me! They know all the best places to eat. Like this citrus coconut pecan shrimp. Or nachos pretty much served on Captain America's shield.



I had to introduce my parents to Dole Whips. All the times taking the family to Disneyland growing up, but they didn't know what it was! Ross used the pineapple soft serve but made a tropical/ shark-week themed treat with cheesecake bits, coconut, and a gummy shark.



While we are on the topic of food.... My mom made this amazing blueberry cheesecake with fresh blueberries. Simply epic.



Palmdale means Vallarta. Somehow I ended up there unsupervised. Pan dulce, horchata, and Pelon later, I came out mostly avoiding the pastry section. Settled for a tostada at home.



It was my first time getting the huge Pelon. Because I live large and I've made it. Ross had one taste and was revolted. Just tastes like childhood to me. No idea how I shared those things with my friends and playground kids and came out mostly okay and healthy.

Synge is such a user. He is crazy for ice cream too. He will get up in your face and start pawing at you.



One time my mom jokingly asked Synge, "If I lost my hands in a car accident would you still love me?!"Good thing he can't talk -I don't think my mom can handle the truth. Just look how devious he is.



With the time I spend with my grandparents, I also get to hang out with their cat, Sabby. I like this sassy photo. I captured her at the perfect moment.



Dad and Ross staring so intensely at the broken doughnut machine at Krispy Kreme. Seconds away from jumping in with a toolkit, or maybe just grabbing the machine and shaking it, "WHERE ARE THE HOT DONUTS NOW?!"



They crack me up.

August brings quite a few birthdays for my family, so we all got together for a party. So much food it wouldn't fit on the table. And Snapchat stickers. This snapchat from my cousin of the dog gettin' so intense on dat cookie. 


And homemade waffle bowls! Calvin gave mom and dad a waffle bowl maker but I guess the recipe for it sucks, so I set out to find a better one. Luckily others thought it sucked too so I didn't have to look long before I found one posted in the Amazon reviews. I perfected the method and have since forgotten it, so enjoy a bit of trial and error.

--Waffle Bowl Maker Recipe--

Ingredients:
3 large eggs 
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 c. all purpose flour

Directions:
-Beat the eggs, adding in the sugar gradually, beating until smooth. Add the cooled melted butter and the vanilla.
-Stir in the baking powder and flour, until all mixed. 
-Spray the iron with a light amount of cooking spray- this will make the first ones turn out imperfect but is important for the process. 
-Drop about a tablespoon of batter onto each bowl. Cook for about 40 seconds, open iron and with a towel or potholder to protect your hand, rotate each bowl about 180 degrees so all sides cook evenly. Use the cooking time as a guide and adjust. 

Of course the best part of going to Palmdale is hanging out with your parents! This time I learned that when my mom was little she was absolutely-fan-girl-status obsessed with the series The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 



I've probably shamed her since I've never even heard of the series before. My mom goes into her magical closet and pulls out this old briefcase. She was not messing around when she was 10! She said that it had been forever since she opened this little time capsule. Inside were autographed photos, magazine clippings, and notes from the fan club she had formed. The best part was the script that she wrote. Dang, my mom was even smart and creative when she was 10. That script was super legit, all typed up on a typewriter and everything. That's some major stamina for a kid.

I'm likely forgetting other tidbits and photos from my summer lovin' in Palmdale, but for now this will do,



No comments:

Post a Comment