Monday, August 17, 2015

Music Monday #18 Odds Are

As I embarked on writing this post, I soon realized that last Music Monday was actually a Barenaked Ladies song. Am I allowed to do two in a row?

Of course. I do what I want.

I picked out this song some time last week, making a mental note to write about it the following Monday. In my infinite wisdom, I really needed to re-listen to the song today.

"Odds Are" by Barenaked Ladies

Warning: Maybe like one swear.

Admittedly, I have lost touch with "BNL" over the years. But with every new album I have the opportunity to re-discover my love for their talent and superb music videos.


The music video for this song is awesome. It may take a few watches before you catch everything that is going on- aliens, meteors, stock market crash, UFOs, zombies, blazing earth, and frogs raining down from the sky. As with most songs by the band, the lyrics are witty and fun. Between the lyrics and the video, we are introduced to all those horrible awful things that could go wrong.

It is pretty humorous, my favorite part is the, "Volcano Erupts Baby Dinosaurs." And of course, the smiling news anchors despite delivering the worst news ever. But in the middle of all this the message is:
"The odds are that we will probably be alright."

I used to over-think things so much it was crazy. "But what if..." was my favorite phrase. I think being so young you have the world before you. You tend to have (1) ONE! set plan that you are determined to stick to despite one million terrifying trajectories.

But as you go through life and you experience those terrifying trajectories, you find life isn't quite what you had hoped... but you're still alright. And maybe things aren't as dramatic as we think.

Things. Will. Be. Okay. (A main theme on this blog) Because:

"Not a damn thing will go wrong!"

Or it will and you'll be totally fine. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment