Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ogden: Birthday 1 and a Surprise Concert

As soon as we thought we had seen our Ogden friends for the last time before the move, we had the opportunity to make one more trip. My second cousin was having her wedding and reception at Powder Mountain in Ogden Canyon. We stayed with our friends before heading to the wedding.

I secretly arranged a party for Ross's upcoming birthday. I love going over the top for birthdays so I was bummed when I found out his birthday was smack in the middle of insane apartment hunting and moving. Lame.

With the help of Heather and Matt, we got Ross out of the house and had some friends come over. Heather and I decorated with some awesome leftover decorations from her kids's parties this year.


We had a couple cakes, one with a particularly unique story. Matt's mom offered to make cake. She makes really delicious baked goods and always spoils Ross when he is in town. It's been so hot that when she went to assemble the cake it totally fell apart. She warned Heather about what happened, but re-assured us that at least the cake will be memorable. That's true!

It was fun to hang out with friends and celebrate Ross's birthday. The next day Ross and I tried to start the car and -NOPE. I'm not even going to go into it. But OF COURSE with only days until we leave this state behind the car would give out. That car has been pretty horrible to us and I will never be so happy for a car payment when we get our own car. 

Another event ruined by that stupid car. 

Earlier that day though, we went to the farmer's market.


We came back and had to deal with the car. It took all afternoon to get things sorted out, and even then we weren't exactly sure. I'm so grateful for my dad who has suffered through almost every possible car problem imaginable so he could talk me through things on the phone. My dad is seriously the best human ever. 

I guess Pepsi has been putting on these "Real Big Summer" concerts throughout the country. It was a pretty cool deal. They have a parade to honor a local business and have a surprise concert. Who the musician was going to be was a total surprise. Clues were given during the day and there was a crazy local buzz about all the possibilities. 


Some people said they saw P!nk in town (or her dad). It was said that it is a really popular person who had a top Billboard hit in the top 10. Pretty soon the news broke and it was....

Phillip Phillips

I knew who he was because just recently I started listening to a few of his songs. We went down to check things out and the parade was in full swing. It was crazy hot and I wasn't feeling well so we went in to Gandolfo's for some sandwiches. Pretty soon there was a lot of commotion and a bunch of important looking people came in with clipboards and boom mics. It was apparent that they were setting up for something. Then, before too long Phillip Phillips himself came in! It was pretty cool.


People were a little clueless though. I don't think many people knew it was the guy that they were all waiting for to play a concert later that evening. I mean, he is a pretty regular looking dude. I even had to tell Ross and Matt who he was. Anyways, they had him do a little pepsi spot, and we were right in the background!!! A lady came up to us and had us sign a release form saying that my money maker is now the property of Pepsi and they can use it anyway and anyhow they want. 

It was pretty neat. After he left the buzz went around and then everyone got star struck and started looking around feverishly for where he went. When they couldn't find him they just all started getting grabby for free Pepsi merch that was being given out during the parade. People freakin' crack me up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment