Monday, August 11, 2014

Music Monday #12: Time to Move On

If I'm blogging, there is a good chance that I am putting off something that really needs to be done.

This time it's packing.

Again.


I've lost count of the number of times I have packed up this summer. Moving or traveling, I find myself here again. But this time with a little more finality.

This morning I woke up with a few lines of this Tom Petty song stuck in my head. Although I have many daunting tasks today, these random lines made me so happy. They made me happy because there are some musicians that will always remind me of my dad. Shoeless summers in the Palmdale heat, Saturday morning house cleaning, or just riding in the car windows rolled down with the wind in my hair.

Always happy memories, put to the tunes of the best of them all.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -Time to Move On


I can't think of a better way to put the last few days. I feel like Wednesday - Saturday were 4 years, not 4 days. I haven't been back in California for a week but I feel like I've been here a month. But at the same time, things have happened so fast. It's been a bit chaotic.


Apartment hunting was a true nightmare - but we signed for a place.

We weren't anticipating to buy a car - but we did!


I sit here and reflect on everything. And the one thing that keeps coming to my mind is the chorus and beginning of this song:

"It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby, grass is growing
It's time to move on, it's time to get going"


Ross and I are starting a new chapter of our lives (and I'm trying as hard as I can to yank the door shut on the previous chapter). But we are still in a great bit of uncertainty. We don't really know what lies ahead. But as Petty sings, the grass is growing under our feet -new things are happening and hopefully this means greener pastures.

The song has some great lines. It talks about forgiveness, moving on, and looking forward. Some of the last lines:

"Like a deer in the headlights
Frozen in real time
I'm losing my mind"


I almost laughed when listening to these this morning. I could only think, "Yep!" The whole ordeal is a bit nerve-wracking. I can only hope that Ross and I have made good choices, mostly to be sure that losing my mind was the only and best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment