Friday, April 10, 2015

Crochet for National Sibling Day

Remember this little guy? Well, since that little bunny I dove head-first into the world of amigurumi and things have been going pretty well.

About a month or so ago I thought it would be fun to crochet a little friend for all my siblings, and my parents. That's 8 little friends!

I not-so covertly gathered intel on everyone's favorite animals, compared that with free patterns and got to work.

Once finished I sent them out for Easter gifts but most of them ended up arriving on

National Sibling Day!

That worked out well. I took this collage from my sister. Here we all are:


I'm so grateful for my siblings. We are a crazy group but I wouldn't have it any other way. It brings my heart so much joy to be able to be a family forever. No matter where they are or how old we get, we are always there for each other no matter what. 

But without further ado, here are all my creations! If you know my family, can you guess who got what? 


Below I put them in age-order, with some fun details about each project. 

First Dad's! I made this little fox and named him Licorice. I love the orange color and his fun little fox tail. My dad says he makes a pretty good phone holder for FaceTime, and I can see why! 


Second Mom's: Little Sparky Sloth. This one was the last one to get made and a good thing because I had to make up the pattern a little when the original wasn't turning out. It turned out way cuter than I thought, and has pipe-cleaner arms and legs to be able to hang. I think he looks great hanging on the succulents. 


Third Marissa's: Baby Dancing Groot. This was the first one I attempted and kinda forever put it on the back burner because it wasn't turning out quite right and I was intimidated about how to get it to stand up in the pot right. Eventually (weeeeks later) I got creative and imagineered a way to get it to stand up and I'm in love with it! Groot also has pipe cleaner limbs so he can dance the night away. 


Fourth Jen's: Koala. This was a small project but I didn't have gray yarn to make an accurate representation. I thought navy blue would still be pretty cute although it took a lot of convincing myself. Before the ears were sewed on it kinda looked like a funky bird but I think once the ears were on it turned out pretty well. 


Fifth Ryan's: Monkey. This one was the most difficult of all of them. The head and body are all one piece and with all the limbs and little pieces needed to be sewn on and together, it was a pretty long project. I'm still upset that I decided on small eyes, I wish I would've used larger eyes, but it still turned out cute. 


Sixth Kyle's: Penguin. This project is just so tiny and cute!! I ended up making it while watching the Madagascar Penguins movie so it was perfect. I love his eyes and little "hello" flipper wave. The white piece of the body was a little tricky but I think eventually I kinda got it right. 


Seventh Ali's: UCLA Bruin. Ali was being difficult and wouldn't tell me her favorite animals ("anything cute and cuddly") so finally I just asked her what she wanted me to make her. And armed with a couple options, I found a pattern for this cute little bear. I think it looks like a little fruit bat in the first picture. And in the second picture are the legs that the pattern uses. As I was making them I was thinking they were a little large, then when I held them up to the tiny body it was definitely no-go. I used the arms and legs pattern from that little bunny and it turned out perfect. The finishing touch was a UCLA colored scarf of course.



Eighth Cassie's: Alpaca. Cassie loves alpacas, so in a way this was a no-brianer. But I knew the pattern might be hard to find and make so I secretly hoped she would choose something different. But I am glad she didn't because it was a really good challenge for me! I had a hard time getting a good picture but I love the way the little face turned out. Also, I used a stiff brush on the yarn so it looks nice and fluffy like a real alpaca!


I got really positive responses from my family! Everyone really liked them. And yes, I am bragging because my whole life has been riddled with crafting attempts (read: FAILURES). It feels good to finally nail it, and be able to produce something that is a good quality, nearly free of flaws, and enjoyed by the receiver. 

Happy Easter and National Sibling Day to my wonderful and loving family. 

You guys are by far the best thing about my life!





No comments:

Post a Comment