Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day

Last Valentine's Day was phenomenal! It was such a fun day and celebration of love for friends, family, and of course my husband. I wrote a huge long post with tons of fun pictures and then the cursed Blogger somehow mysterious deleted it. I was furious after all my work. So as I compile this post. I'm still a little bitter.

Last year and the previous year I was busy with Valentine's festivities, homemade dinners and crafts galore. This year Valentines was more down to business. We signed up to help clean the church that morning. When I told people this they were kind of appalled. Maybe after 4 years of early morning custodial work it just ain't no thang. Although, when I started gagging at one... issue. Ross made fun of me and told me I have become soft. Thanks babe. 


I decided it's really all about perspective anyways. Ross signed us up because he was being incredibly cute! After all, we met through our custodial work and our love grew as we discussed the proper technique of how to put baggies in the feminine hygiene boxes. Also, we were in the service of God and our fellow beings. In actuality, this date was incredibly romantic of him- an homage to our puppy love! D'aww!

We got some sodas from Gerrard's market next door and picked up some fruit from someone's yard. The citrus industry is huge here, but most of the local fruit is shipped out to companies like Sunkist. As far as the local stuff goes, you can find many stands in people's yards with bagged produce! It is all on the honor system and you stick your money in the lockbox. This house had grapefruits, oranges, and tangelos. We picked up a bag of grapefruits. Can't beat that for a buck.


The rest of the day we worked on a Fireside or lesson/ chat we were assigned to present to the Youth at church. That was time consuming but the best part of the day was dinner!

We keep our Valentine's dinners low-key and this year we got some microwave fondue from Trader Joes. I made french bread and Ross cooked up some beef. It was incredible!


Even thinking about it now, my mouth is watering! Ross also did some oil fondue beef. He said they had it all the time growing up, and raved about it. I didn't really understand until I had a bite. Wow. Fondue beef, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?! I am now fairly certain I need to own a fondue set


After dinner we got dressed up and went to the Redlands Symphony, because we are fancy. And apparently old. I didn't see anyone under the age of 60 there besides us. The music was wonderful, the title was "65 Years of Romance" and featured pieces from Chopin and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, and what I think was Ross's favorite Die Fledermaus by Strauss. 

We didn't do gifts this year, just candy. I begged Ross for these and my only regret is that I didn't secretly go behind his back and buy out the whole store. These chocolates are incredible. I've only had a couple and I already have separation anxiety. 


No comments:

Post a Comment